Diesel or gas truck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CAT MAN, May 14, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ok when I do get my lawn care business up and going with my two zero turns and a WB and all my blowers and weed eaters should I get a diesel or a gas truck the trailer will be a 20' or 23' enclosed trailer

Please reply

2. vos

vos LawnSite Member

hmmmmm are you willing to pay near $5.00 for each gallon of diesel fuel? because the point im getting at is that you can buy a diesel and get slightly better financial economy in the long run as well as performance and immediate response while driving and pulling. personally i would go with ford for body quality and diesel reliability,you could go with cummins for low end torque or chevy because of the allison and i hear their diesel is also a pulling dog. but in the long run i would go with a diesel just because of power and reliability.

cheers, landon

3. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

i own a diesel truck and want to buy a gas truck. diesel used to be worth it when you where paying 20% less for diesel and getting 20% better fuel milage. Now diesel is 60 cents more and your only getting 20% better mileage making it uneconmical. id rather have a gas truck and pay 4 bucks a gallon and get 5 miles worse a gallon then a diesel truck and pay 4.60 a gallon to only get a extra 5 or so miles to the gallon. gas all the way with the economy where it is right now.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Diesel, Yeah its hit $4.19G here in Memphis; however I still see fuel savings over a gasoline tuck. I just cannot see how getting worse fuel economy with a gasoline truck, and filling up more at the pump is good business?? I may spend more for diesel; but I fill up once a week to some buddies in the LC business fueling up three times a week running 3/4 ton gasburnes. Diesel truck sales are hitting all time records, supply & demand more diesel trucks= more expensive fuel. You cheap diesel haters will be the first in line for the "cheaper" diesel 1/2 tons coming in 2009

5. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

I have the 5.4 gas engine in my f-250. Yea it's not a powerhouse pulling a loaded trailer around but it's not too shabby.
    Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off with a deisel.

Then I filled up today, gas at 3.81/gallon and deisel sitting at 4.75/gallon.

I'm glad I have the gas engine.

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both: 1 diesel, 2 gassers. The gassers will get about 10mpg pulling my dump trailer around loaded with 5K in it where my diesel will get 12-13mpg doing the same. It all depends on your personal preference really. I'm not impressed with my mpg in the diesel, I know that!:rolleyes:

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 5.9 gas in my Dodge. It's got a ton of power for pulling, hauling and plowing snow. I'm planning on getting another truck in a few months and I'm thinking of going diesel, but mainly because I'd be doing commercial snow plowing and that gives you the best torque. I haven't ruled out gas yet, but we'll see. If I did get a diesel, I'd probably get a Chevy or GMC Duramax/Allison or a Ford Powerstroke.

8. CAT MAN

from PA

well ive been a diesel nut for awhile I like the chevy dmax/allison setup and my thinking is put a chip in it and staright pipe it then you can get 18-20mpg's Ive seen it. And diesel is 4.55 a gallon here in PA, All the guys I know that have a diesel with a chip arent complaining, but my uncle has just stop running his its all stock and gets at best 15mpg and a gas truck gets like 12mpgs empty so I would rather have a diesel in the long run.

Keep the comments coming.

9. BigStew

BigStew LawnSite Member

I have owned 3 diesel vehicles, GMC JIMMY and Suburban 3/4 ton, VW Jetta. I used the trucks up with over 300K on each prior to selling. The VW was sold at about 200K. When I needed a new truck I went straight back to gas. In the long run you are better off with gas. I don't think I saved any money with diesel over the life of the three I owned, initial price difference and maintenance costs eat up any mileage savings you enjoy. I towed with both trucks and got great mileage but injector pump rebuilds at $1.5K each and the cost of rebuilt injectors, along with the other diesel related problems will eat up any mileage savings IMO. Diesel is the only option for big trucks but for 1/2 to 3/4 you can't beat a good old American V/8 for reliability. It is about the total cost of ownership, not just mileage.

BigStew

10. CAT MAN

from PA

well I dont know I like the gas jobs always have and I think a 6.0vortec with 4.10 rears can pull that trailer with no prob