1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

diesel? or gas truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by atb1137, Jun 17, 2011.

1. atb1137

atb1137 LawnSite Member
    from RI

i fianlly bought a enclosed trailer. i had an open 5x8 trailer that my 03 dodge ram 1500 could pull no problem . im now pulling a 6x12 with obviously more equipment.now im looking for something like a f250 or something along those lines. i was wondering what most of you prefer a diesel or unleaded gasoline trucks. i dont know much abut diesels besides theyr great for towing.

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Your 1500 can pull a 6x12 with ease. I used my f150 with a v6 and pulled/stopped well. You will get better mileage with a diesel over a gasser imho and his is why I just bought an old IDI Ford Diesel.

3. Truitt Lawn Maintenance

Truitt Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought an f25 deisel 2008 fir my 14 ft trailer. i tell you what i was pulling it with a 2004 ram 1500 and there is a world of difference! i dont even feel the thing back there. i get alittle better gas mileage but when i go to the gas station i feel like im giving the an arm and a leg. but i am happy with my decision

4. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

for that small of a trailer you do not need a diesel truck. you only NEED one if you are pulling over 7,000# daily or doing alot of highway travel with a load. You need to think of what is pratical now and what you might grow into in the future.

5. atb1137

atb1137 LawnSite Member
    from RI

the problem im havins is when i have the bed filled and towing the trailer my bed is dragging and the truck is just too slow on the highway.i amtryng to plan for the future thats why i am leaning toward a diesel but man they are expensive even used

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I still don't see a diesel being beneficial to you at this point. A 6x12 trailer isn't much and can't really haul enough equipment to justify a diesel. What it sounds like, is that you want a "beefier" truck to handle the weight better when you have your bed full and towing a trailer. Honestly, you could go with a 2500HD truck, put some additional helper springs or air bags in the rear to help with the weight and any "sagging" problems.

A 3/4 ton truck will really help with what you are looking for. Personally, I think the gas engine will be just fine in a 3/4 ton. Now, you can get a diesel if you really want but you will be spending more up front and more to maintain the vehicle. You will get a little better fuel economy but you do typcially pay more per gallon of diesel, so you may not see much in savings.

7. atb1137

atb1137 LawnSite Member
    from RI

okk . sounds reasonable. i was really leaning toawrd the diesel for mileag but i understand what your saying dealing with the price of diesel and the maintenance of the truck. do you know what kind of mileage a gas 2500 would be getting??

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

It seems your best option would be to add a set of airbags or beefier leaf springs on yur current truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. atb1137

atb1137 LawnSite Member
    from RI

my current truck only has a 6ft bedand is a quadcab.plus i need somethin a little more reliable with lower mileage. i would like the 8ft with just the reg cab.i dont neeed the quad cab anymore.

10. rkeguy

rkeguy LawnSite Member

A 90-96 F150 with the I6 engine will pull just about anything from my experience. I have pulled a 16' car trailer loaded with two cars and maintained cruising speed on interstate. The I6 engine is known for its torque and indestructable engines. My 92 now has 230K and pulls my 5x10 trailer now with ease.

I would consider a trucks torque before the horsepower. I've been told that a automatics will have higher torque rating than 5 speed manual. I agree with the add-a-leaf spring helpers which clamps onto your leaf springs or air bags if you have room for compressor.