Diesel or Gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hank Reardon, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

After my own "March Madness" (maybe "September/March" is more appropriate as we demo'd 4 manufacturers in the fall and brought the final two back about three weeks ago), I have decided on Toro to replace a Walker mower on a large site we service. I am not sure if we should go with the Z593 diesel with the 23hp Kubota or the Z557 gas with the 30hp Kohler. Both units performed very well under the worst conditions. The units are on the same platform with only different powerplants.

There seem to be more advantages to going diesel like better fuel economy, water-cooled, etc. However, I'm sure there are some disadvantages I am overlooking.

I wanted to get some input from anyone who may have experience in either of these units or with the engines [in other machines].

Thank you!

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I do know that the 30hp Kohler is brand new this year and I'm not sure that very many have even used it. I haven't read about anyone using it yet on here yet.

The main disadvantages to diesels are the added weight to the machine and the extra purchasing cost. Have you done a search on here for 'diesel vs. gas'? There is all kinds of info on the subject.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

The diesel is the only way to go - It will not even be noticable as to the extra weight. Fuel economy is double, life time of the engine is going to be about 12,000 hrs.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Take heed to Flex-Deck's post. He KNOWS what he is talking about.....:usflag:

Diesel = Smoooooth !!!!!

5. Hank Reardon

I'm not sure of the impact of the additional 200# of "love handles" the Kubota brings. As for the cost, that is not a factor.

I did a little searching before I posted. The problem is sifting through pages of off topic, opinionated dribble to uncover the nuggets of knowledge! :)

Your feedback is the kind of nuggets I'm looking for. Muchas gracias!

6. JTF40

Hank,
    Please don't take this the wrong way - There is a reason Peterbilt, International, Freightliner, etc. use diesel engines. First is durability, second is torque. Now, I know we are talking mowers here. However, the same principle applies. I demo'ed most of the manufacturers units before I decided on the Kubota diesel. I was more comfortable with the "insurance" of the diesel durability. I really wasn't aware of the efficiency concerning the reduced fuel costs until I had around 25 hrs. on the machine - that was a nice discovery. :usflag:

7. Hank Reardon

None taken! I drive a Dodge with a Cummins so you are talking my language with trucks! How those advantages carry over to mowers is a gray area for me (that is getting clearer).

8. JTF40

I'm no mechanic by any means. I just know that the Cummins you own (or Navistar, Detroit, whatever) will go 1,000,000+ miles, with PROPER maintenance, no problem. The same goes for the Kubota and Yanmar diesels. These 3cyl. LC engines will last 5,000+ hours - easy. I will not ever own a ZTR, whatever brand, without a diesel engine. It is money WELL spent. :weightlifter: :usflag:

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

10. JTF40

That link is "everything" to me. Thanks for clearing this issue up. Done !!!:usflag: