Diesel or Gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stumpslawncare, Dec 13, 2006.

1. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a 1 ton dump truck. Which do you guys prefer or think is better and why. A diesel or Gas?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever you can afford. Either will serve you well...diesel would be a plus though.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

well what gas engine are you looking at?? Whats the price of diesel in your area?? A diesel will get better fuel economy under a heavy load then a gas engine, but is it worth the cost of the engine and tranny upgrade. If your looking at getting the 8.1L with allison tranny the prcie should be close to the diesel.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are you buying new used ?

I say go diesel once you have you never go back to gas. I don't think I could ever go back to a 8mpg gas pot.

5. stumpslawncare

I'm going used. 2001 2002 range

6. jarhead777

jarhead777 LawnSite Member

It depends on how much your driving. If your running the wheels off go diesel. If you will only put 5k a year on the truck find a gas in good shape and save some money. I did a spread sheet a couple years ago to answer this question. At the time I figured I needed to be driving 30k a year to offset the extra cost of the diesel.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What will you be using the truck for? NEW a diesel will cost about $7,000 MORE than a gas...........referring to a 4500 I had priced out.

I don't know what you're using this truck for but here's a thought:

DMAX 4500 loaded with boxes etc was gonna run me about 43-45,000 new. I am building my 26k GVW '02 International 4300 from the chasis up for just under 50,000.......little price difference, big truck difference

8. stumpslawncare

I will just be using it for pulling my landscaping trailer and hauling dirt, rock typical landscaping items. I put about 20 -30 thousand on it a year. (Miles)

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to be using the truck when you are on your mowing route or only when doing landscaping?

If it will be used daily on a mowing route, I would look into either a Big block v-8 or a v-10. Diesels are great in a dump truck but not if your gonna be mowing with it. I dont see the point of a diesel in a truck that is just going to start and stop (the engine that is) Diesel engines are made to run and IMHO, if you went diesel, it would be more beneficial to let it run while you are mowing.

10. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

if you can afford it diesel would be my choice.