diesel or gas

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by JRS Landscaping, Dec 22, 2006.

?

diesel or gas engine

1. diesel

73.5%
  2. gas

26.5%
  1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what engine do you perfer in your truck? i have an IH t444e (powerstoke) made by international in a ford f250

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel pick-ups never made sense to me. There are very few people who actually need one.

3. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yea i agree but mine pulls like a bat outta hell

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on what type of truck its going in. In a dump truck, I'd prefer a diesel for the extra torque and longevity while pulling. For a mowing truck, I'd want a gas engine because of all the starting and shutting off.

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

6.6 Duramax
    05 2500HD
    06 2500HD

Mowers and trailer 4800 pounds
    snow plowing - - -operating range approximately 25 hours per tank fill-up
    CARRYING 463 Bobcat skid steer

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got gas burners in all of my stuff. I would like to have diesel powered trucks but the exhaust fumes from diesels gives me a headache.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

diesel but ill take what i can get we have one diesel and three gassers

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are crazy. Diesel pick-ups are the biggest waste of $$$$ IMO.

9. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Just outa curiousity, have you ever USED one?

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a slew of gas trucks, and two diesels. I agree with Procut.

Diesel fuel costs more....

Diesel engines require more expensive oil, and twice the amount of oil, and more expensive filters, etc, at oil changes.....

Diesels are loud....

Diesels are smelly....

Diesel fuel is smelly...

Diesel engines, parts and service for one is extremely expensive.....

A friend has a Dodge with a cummins, it is a one or two year old truck. His starter went out on it. Wanna guess how much just a starter is??? Over 700$. Imagine what it will cost to replace a cylinder head, or the turbo, or any of the other systems..... At least with a gas engine you can buy a complete shortblock for very little money, and parts are cheaper.

Todays diesel trucks are tuned for max horsepower, and max torque. Sorry guys but diesel fuel is not magic.... It does produce slightly more heat per pound than gasoline does when burned, but it still takes alot of fuel to make alot of power. Todays diesel trucks do not get very impressive mpg. My same friend who has the dodge with the cummins averages 9 mpg, and this is a mix of just the truck driving in town, and towing a 16 foot enclosed lawn trailer in town. Sorry dudes, but 9 mpg is not anything special. The same truck with a V-8 Hemi would do the same job and get the same mpg.... yet cost less for fuel, less for service, and less to buy.

If you were to compared diesel trucks to gas trucks 10 years ago, the diesels were a good choice. Fuel was less for diesel than gas back then.... And the diesels made alot less horsepower, yet had strong torque, so they could pull a heavy trailer and still get good mpg and last a long time, which was the only real worthy reason to own a diesel in the first place.

Now if you two a 10,000 pound trailer around with a backhoe or bulldozer on it, well a diesel is probably the only practical choice. But for the average lawn guy, a diesel is a waste of money.