Diesel or Gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTKUB, May 20, 2007.

1. CTKUB

CTKUB LawnSite Member
    from lyme Ct

how much is a more is a diesel ZTR worth than a gas? I found a new ZD21hp kubota w/60 inch deck for 10250, a JD 777gas for about 9500. I have just started looking for a new mower and am a little in the dark on prices. My guess is the diesel will use less fuel and last longer ! Does anyone know the aprox fuel burns per hour?Thanks

2. jtrover

jtrover LawnSite Member

We haven't figured any definite numbers yet but a good guess would be that they will use half what a gas burner will use. Plus off-road diesel is close to a buck cheaper per gallon.:usflag:

3. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

I myself would love to own a diesel mower, but its a lot of $$ the way I see it is the customer is paying for the gas not me, so im not really worried about the fuel prices, I am more interested in the durability, longevity, and required maint. compared to a gas motor, although the fuel efficiency is def a plus.

4. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have ran Exmark diesel and gas, compared them by fuel consumption versus prices. They are cheaper to run and use less fuel. The cost of a diesel over gas, I fugured out would take you 5-6 years to even out the cost. If you have to trade more often than that, I would go gas. If you can get 5+ years out of a mower than go diesel. As far as the engine lasting longer, I had both Diahtsu engines 1 replaced and the other had major work after only 1500 hours. Although Exmark is now running kubota's.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've preached this in other threads, but I'll repeat, diesel is the only way to go, and with kubota, if you take care of it, the mower wil fall aprt around the engine at 2000, 3000 hours, and then you can still sell it because someone will take that engine and do something with it.

you will drink slightly less than 1/2 as much fuel and pay less if you get off road diesel.

the entire diesel mower ( le't s say 11,000) will pay for itself at around 2000 hours or so verses gas at around 4 bucks per gallon for gas. small gas engines burn about 1 gallon per hour, the 21 horse kubota I had burned .4 gallons per hour. You can actually do better than that if you lower the rpms slightly when you don't need all the power.

as a weird bonus, diesel has a built in max price per gallon of around 5 bucks. at above that price, you can actually run vegetable oils in diesels ( can't start, but can run) at around 5 bucks a gallon. some folks run used veg. oil from restaurants that is filtered and free. If diesel is 8 bucks a gallon, and you can buy soybean oil at 5 at Sams and run it in diesel, it's a no brainer. a dual tank sytem is needed, because you can't start or stop the engine while running non-diesel.

You'll see more and more diesel rigs as gas continues to go up. It would not surprise me to start seeing guys burn veg. oil once diesel goes to 4-5 bucks per gallon.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely correct! I look to buy my next mower as a diesel. Another great point is that down here in the deep south it gets HOT! and gas engines run 20 to 30 percent hotter than diesel engines. My 40 hp tractor has a 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel. After 5 hours in the field ona 90 degree day i can get off the machine and use my bare hand to clean the radiator off with out burning myself. 5 straight hours on my air cooled gas mower and it starts to get the back of the seat so hot i can no longer sit on the machine. I know this cant be good for engine longevity. Go diesel.

7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

You also get better trade in valve for Diesels.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel is off the hiesel fo shiesel. I know that was a pretty dumb thing to say but i had to go there. :cool2:

9. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I love my Kubota powered Z-Master. Can't beat the fuel consumption, or lack thereof.

10. koop

koop LawnSite Member

The general consensus so far in this thread is for diesel. I love a diesel engine if you can afford the higher up front cost.

Around here, Kubota is very popular thanks, in part, to a HUGE dealer with millions in inventory on the lot. Even with a popular Kubota dealer in the area it seams gas engines still reign supreme for those in the business of cutting grass daily. Why do you think this is??