Diesel or gas???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ned5485, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am going to purchase a used truck. I am not necessarily in a big hurry, but the sooner the better I guess. I am wondering about diesel vs gas engines. What do you guys think? I of course will be using it my daily driver, but also hauling my landscape trailer around town 5-6 days a week. I know that diesels are supposed to be more fuel efficient and better for towing. I also think that all past maintenance being equal, the diesel lasts much longer. Other than the cost difference, Is there any reason not to get diesel? I plan to keep the truck until it becomes unreliable, maybe as a back up, or trailer only in 3-4 years. My total mileage is around 200-300 miles/week.

Also, other than my mowers, I will occasionally be towing a small utility tractor. And I am not sure if that extra weight will be to much for a gasser? It would be no more than 2-3 trips/month with the tractor. Is that enough weight/use to warrant considering diesel? I don't want to spend any money that is unnecessary. But I also don't want to find out in a month that I need more torque!! Besides, who doesn't want more torque?

LOL I think I am hoping you guys all agree that a diesel is an absolute MUST have. And then maybe 1 of u just happens to have a deal of a lifetime for me!

Thanks for reading and any advice u give.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maintenance is not equal... diesels hold a lot more oil usually, the oil filter usually costs more as does the fuel filter. also when hauling a load the mpg isn't really a factor anymore for a diesel. it just has a lot better torque for getting the job done. Diesel is also usually about .25 cents higher than regular gasoline in most places right now.

3. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

repairs maintanice diesels are easy. downtime is almost nothing.
    Try oil changes 150 hrs not 50 hrs.

4. WalkerMowing

WalkerMowing LawnSite Member

I don't think that he meant repairs are the same in quantity and price but rather scheduled maintenance.

Unless something financially prevents me from owning a diesel truck, I will never own a gas. Power and reliability are what I get out of mine everyday. Just do a lot of research on what ever brand and model year you are looking at. They all have their issues (as with anything else).

MPG loaded is definitely a factor and unloaded for that matter. Gas wont come close. My 2001 2500 gets 24MPG highway unloaded. Working around town with the gooseneck loaded down it still gets 14-15MPG. Try getting that with a comparable size gas engine.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I love my diesels... but I work the hell out of them. I haul 15k-17k several times a month. My dodge cummins has got some grit. I also feel the diesels retain there value pretty well. Diesels hold twice as much oil, but you only have to change it every 5000 miles instead of 3000... so it might factor out to be about the same... plus no spark plugs etc.

6. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

I like my diesel too. The funny thing is its a manual trans so it reminds me of driving semi but i dont have to double clutch like i did in a ford900"i think it was" when i did the yard skills part of the CDL test. which was fun lol
    as for the price of diesel fuel it was 2.99 when the last time bought fuel
    and gas was a little more. but the fuel price verys form area to area.
    If you go with a diesel dont let a manual trans keep you form buying it.
    it not really hard to do just takes practice.

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 gas Ford's and a couple of my buddies have diesels and if I could go back I would definetly get a diesel without a doubt.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesels are made for work. That's why you can't get a big truck with a gas engine.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Diesel!!!!!

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 2006 silverado 2500 with the 6.0L motor. I average around 12-134mpg unloaded and 9-10mpg when pulling equipment. I am in the market for a diesel right now b/c my gas bill is killing me. Even it the diesel gets the same mileage, at least i will have better towing results.