Diesel or Kawi

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nick858, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Any reports on performance/economy on the 31 Kawi or the Shibaura yet? May be replacing a 30/66, and looking for a little more snort. I know you dont get power and economy, but Im not getting enough of either with the 30.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I havent heard actual #'s, but I have heard that the guys that can get their hands on these 2 new models are loving them.
    With them only being out couple months, its only a matter of time before we start getting the comments and gph posted here.

Pj

3. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have sold both and the guys love them. The 31 Kawi is a power house, But ofcourse not as good on fuel as the Diesel.

But from the short time ive had the D's in here they are amazing machines.
    Smoothest Diesel ive ever ran.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Pj,
    Other than the engine and different pumps, whats the difference between the SZ and the diesel? Sorry if its been asked before!

Will Hustler be coming out with a higher hp efi engine eg 31hp or so?

I dont understand why they havent yet other than know one making it. I mean, everyone including myself loves the 28efi but we just ask for a little more hp to run the larger pumps on the SZ. Been saying it for years!

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are many differences in the Hustler Z diesel compared to the std Super Z.
    They share the same pumps, just mounted tandem in the diesel model.
    We use axial piston wheel motors in the diesel Z also.
    Everything is mounted different do to the engine being a horizontal shaft, we use a mule drive also compared to the std Super Z / Hustler Z.
    There are new engines always being tested and evaluated for use in our mowers, what they are and when they will be available, I cant say, but I can assure you we are always working on something with more hp and newer engine options.

6. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I havent got actual numbers yet. (dont have a meter on my overhead gas tank) But the 31's use close to twice what the efis use. Hate to think what the 40 kohler will drink. The 31 has alot of valve train noise compared to the 28efi.

7. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I would just love to see a low to mid 30s HP EFI engine. The 28 koh efi is great on our SZ 60 inch, I would just like to have a little more for the 66s. I think our 28 efi runs the super z better than the 30 koh on the other two mowers we have.

8. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Lets quit messing around and put in a small block chevy!

9. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Then we would all complain about economy!!!

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Had a look at the new diesel hustler prototype today! Looks a great machine! Engine sounds awesome. Well layed out motors, belts etc!
    Will get a demo around xmas when the grass is normal growth.
    Also had a look at the new Out front! WOW! It wouldnt be much if any longer than a grasshopper or Walker and its got 4wd, diff lock etc. Might get a demo of that too I think!