1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel performance

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jones68, Mar 19, 2014.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Nothing is changed expect the cam and tubro. The factory turbo has way to much back pressure which causes the heating issues. You could add a bearing girdle but its not needed at that hp. Neither is the hardened crank. Once you get beond 450 hp then you have to reinforce the engine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Interesting. Most people I know who have the 6.5's just leave them stock, I know keeping them cool can be a challenge and I thought the pre-97 trucks had a weaker block.

3. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

I bought a regular cab 350 6.4 last summer and have so far put another $8500 into it.

RCD EGR delete
    AFE full turboback 4" downpipe to 5" with 6" tip, DPF delete
    AFE intake
    Spartan tuner. I run mine on 210 hp tune. I have gone up to 275, it's simply insane.

Be careful with it, my injection pump went out, so cab up, this is where the big $5000 bill came from
    new oem injection pump, new oem low pressure pump, new oil coolers, valve job
    Also had him add ARP headstuds while the cab was up, and an Airdog lift pump to keep the fuel supplied.

The truck is a beast. I keep it tuned at 210 because I don't want more power to fry my transmission. Once I have that built up, I'll run higher tunes. Supposedly the spartan tunes have transmission safety parameters built in up to their 275 tunes but it still worries me.

[​IMG]

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Actually the opposite. The literal best 6.5 was 92 and 93 which were mechanical injection. I have a 93 and a 95. The 98-2000 blocks were prone to cracking because they made the block thinner. Then I think it was 2005 navistar bought the rights and make an awesome block fixing all the issues. All hummers have the 6.5 including now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

Couple of my buddy's are running transmissions from suncoast diesel transmissions out of Florida. I would recommend them and if I get up to the 800-1,000 hp range that's what I will be getting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

I see you're in Chicago, have you ever made it out to Byron in the Spring or Fall for the diesel drags?

Most everyone I know is running Suncoast trans parts in their trucks. This includes a couple of friends with 700+hp 6.4's that sled pull and drag race them. The transmission kits are pretty nice, their trucks drive on the street no different then stock. Firm shifts, predictable, etc.

7. dieselfuel

They have a great reputation and I might go that route. But there is a local shop here who builds transmissions for drag cars, so I'll let them shoot me a price first.

8. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 04 f350 srw that is in the shop getting more mods now and I came from a built motor and built trans duramax. I had an 05 lly built motor from dimitri millard, s366 turbo, 75 over injectors, duap modded lbz injection pumps, suncoast gmax 5 with 1056 converter, 9" cognito, 20s and 37s, efi live from rob coddens, fass 150, mbrp 4 inch dumped, warn trans4mer with 9.5ti winch. I sold the motor and put the old motor back in and unloaded it on the cheap.

Now for my current truck. It is a 2004 6.0 f350 srw. I should be getting it back this week from the second round of modifications. It has an sct with tunes from truck source diesel, arp studs, sinister egr delete, gauges, airaid intake, 4" exhaust with 8" black chrome stack. When I get it back it will have an mkm coolant filtration system, warren 175cc injectors with 75% nozzles, 6.4 banjo bolts and blue spring, and an adrenaline hpop from dieselsite. Future plans include kc 68mm turbo, warren trans with billet shafts, regulated fuel return, fuel sump, complete fuel system using a fuel lab pump for high pressure and a fass 150 as the low pressure. We are shooting for 510hp now and 8.3s in the 1/8 and once we do the last stage I am shooting for 600hp and mid to low 12s. If I can't break these number then she will get bigger injectors and some giggle gas. Diesel performance is my weakness. ;/
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

I just picked up a 2003 7.3, so far I have only done a AFE PG7 filter, and 4" Diamond Eye Stainless turbo back. And I just put in Energy Suspension sway bar bushings because of an awful knock.

Looking at getting an SCT flash tuner and DP custom tunes, first I have to add a leaf the front and put 350 blocks in the rear.

7.3 hall.JPG

10. dieselfuel

Nice looking truck