Diesel performance

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jones68, Mar 19, 2014.

1. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

12 k on a engine up grade is crazy always wanted a diesel but no way I would spend that on a truck hell you can by a good used gas for that... Just crazy.. And the 3 or 4 grand to have the head gaskets fixed is crazy also...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Thats why I love old diesels :hammerhead:
  3. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Ford problems..... 12k is what I spent to buy my 2000 and I bet it will last 3 times as long as that 6.4.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

I haven't heard of a single one and we deal with Spartan a lot.

Even if your 24v 5.9 lasts 3x as long as the 6.4 it's still in an old truck compared to the 08-10 superduty's. And how many people really keep a truck for 350k or more miles and expect it to be perfect? Even the hot shot/transport guys who buy trucks with the intention of racking up crazy miles on them still see failures and a lot of them drive Dodges.
  5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently cummins people do.

25k for a truck with 200k miles? Gtfo with that stuff lol

Every diesel has issues wether it is modern or ancient
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

I googled a couple different variations of spartan tunes and 6.4 run away motors. The only thing that came up was a motor that was just put back together and lasted under 50 miles before it locked up and a couple motors that had bad injectors/injector tips that went unnoticed to long. Not a single thing about a Spartan tuned 6.4 diesel running away because the tune was corrupt.
  7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard of Spartan being the issue but rather injectors getting stuck open

Not that common that I would worry about it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

I know spartan has transmission safety parameters built in up to the 275 tune (I think). But my truck has 150k on the clock and I am not aware of any transmission work being done to it. So, maybe the trans can handle it, but I don't want to push it too far until I am ready to spend the money to upgrade it.

And as it sits, the truck is already insane. I ran the 275 tune once and it's crazy. I can't imagine the 350 tune :) I'm pretty throttle happy which is another reason I keep it at 210 - I'd be in the throttle all the time on a different tune!
  9. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Who cares if a truck has age? It's clean, comfortable, and very capable. What could I be missing? Emissions crap? Sunroof? 12mpg? It's all about taking proper care of your stuff and I bet my 5.9 will be cleaner than most 6.4's in 10 years. More and more, pre-emissions diesels are desired by those who have to deal with the newer diesels.
  10. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Love my 1996 12v ram2500. I run soy based bio diesel when I can. Got a 5in exhaust, bhaf, #0 fuel plate slid forward, afc slide forward, kdp fixed, bigger injectors, etc...And I still get around 20mpg unless I'm pouring pure black smoke haha. Oil changed every 5,000 miles. Got to say it does have its issues (steering!). I have a steering stabilizer that did help the road walk but its still not perfect. Someone let the bad road walk go on for too long and it messed up the steering box so now I have tons of play in the steering wheel.