Diesel Power Magazine Article

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Apr 11, 2007.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yea i read that...its unbelievable that te guy would dump all that money into a truck like that when he should just go out and buy a tandem axle dumptruck and trailer which he should be using to pull that thing with

love the truck though

3. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Instead of all the expense, why not spec out the F550 from Ford with the heavy duty tow package & get a factory warranty for 33,000 pound Gross Combined Weight Rating. We have 2 F550 dumps that weigh around 11,000 empty & can haul 8,000 in the bed (rated at 19,000) and can tow 22,000 legally & warranted by Ford. So far no problems!

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

That guy has more money than he knows what to do with. next he is thinking about upgrading the engine in the backhoe? what he needs to start doing is buying the right piece of equipment for the job from the beginning. i can appreciate the truck just don't understand the mentality though.

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought this magazine a few weeks ago and read this article. You would be suprised how many farmers/excavators with deep pocets do this.

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

HA...its called debt...every farmer i know is in debt with nice equipment of barely scraping by with old equipment...

as far as this guy goes i think its just unprofessional...if you read the article it says he use to do the same thing with a regular 1 ton!?!?!....if a guy pulled onto one of my jobs with a pickup pulling a backhoe or any other peice of equipment bigger then a mini-ex he already has a bad impression of the type of work he does...in my opinion

7. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

WOW I need to get into farming...LOL The city life is too much of a struggle, and no one I know has money for anything!

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

All I can say is more money than brains :rolleyes:

You buy a 50 thousand truck yank the motor out of it do a motor swap and dump another 20 grand or more into it for a truck that is already undersized for the load.

I agree I wouldn't hire this guy either it sounds like his EGO is bigger than he is.

9. Fieldman12

Not all of them are in debt. I know several that own a thousand acres and have for some time know and all paid off. Yes there are guys out there that will use every dime they can get. It all depends on the operation and allot of thes guys have a trucking business or excavating business to see it through. Im sure you have been to some of the tractor pulls and see the serious $150,000 or better stuck into a pulling tractor. Yeah some of them could not afford anything else but some have money to burn. In my area it seams like in order to be an excavator you need a $100,000 pulling tractor to go with it and a diesel truck maxed out in toys.

10. Fieldman12

I go to the 4x4 Jamboree every year and see the same thing up there. Matter of fact the cabin I stay in the guy next to me as a one ton f350 acked up that I can walk under. He has about $80,000.00 stuck in it and all it does is go to shows. He is from New York and excavates. This is very common I see at allot of these shows. Most of these guys have been established for years or may have even been started by there family.