Diesel prices lower then gas once again...?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by atasteofnature, Mar 20, 2009.

1. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

I was out and about the other day and saw diesel go for $1.89 where the gas was at a $1.99. Is this happening everywhere and is this going to keep up with the diesel being around the same price as gas?

2. atasteofnature

That price was the regular price not the tax exempt price. I did see some diesel at $2.15 as well it deepen on the gas station.

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Even at those prices it's still a rip-off. Diesel is a less refined, cheaper fuel. It used to cost 1/2 of gas a dozen years ago.

4. atasteofnature

Oh yea, the good ole' days...well I don't have much room to talk only being 26 but I kinda remeber.

5. jkilov

from MS

It wasn't that long ago, I remember as a kid.
    I'm 28 BTW. :waving:

6. signature lawns

signature lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I saw $1.99 for Diesel in Wisconsin ,and $2.05 for gas today. I never understood why Diesel has been higher than gas either seeing as it's less refined. :confused: Unless it has something to do with removing the sulfur now with Ultra Low Sulfur. What about the engines that were designed for the sulfur lubrication? Do they need an additive?

7. jkilov

from MS

The low sulfur price increase is a crock.

And yes it affects lubrication. The statement is that the new fuel already includes some additives and it's lubrication properties are sufficient as mandate for use in old and new on-road vehicles.

From what I've heard the best "additive" is basically a blend of bio-diesel, even as low as 5% will do.

8. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

What he just said. The specs on diesel have gotten tighter but I would still think it should be cheaper. I plan on trying to make my own biodiesel by the end of the summer. According to the all the reading and research I've done, biodiesel adds 65% lubricity at a mere 1%! And it acts as a solvent as well, cleaning out your fuel system. Not to mention your supporting your local farmers and producers, not the middle east.

Signature, most guys I know use additives every couple of tanks.

9. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

Even if some producers add additives why take a risk on your investment, assuming they did? Its cheap insurance. I got a bad batch last year, after idling for a few hours I was able to unplug my fuel filter enough to get it to a place I could get it inside warm up the truck and change the filter. I now carry a spare filter.

10. signature lawns

signature lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Even with the new diesles?