diesel prices ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Teiman, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

Anybody have an informed answer as to why
    diesel is is more costly than gas lately ?

far as I know it requires less refineing
    Is in lower demand, at least in the U.S.

Is it the new low sulfur requirements ?
    temporary refinery problems or what ?

Im in Ohio and it is up to about 2.50/gal right now.
    It was historicaly cheaper than gas but not for the last
    year or two.

Getting a little expensive to feed the old 7.3 lately.
    Not to mention the tractor.

2. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I would like to know also, kind if makes me sick last week 50.00 only put 22 gallons in the cummins, which has a 35 gal tank :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I feel what some of you may be overlooking is the recent explosion of people purchasing diesel powered equipment.. trucks, heavy equipment, etc.

I believe that the number of units sold is starting to bring diesel into the old "Supply and Demand" chain of events. More people are using diesel.. so they're going to start getting more for it..

Who knows....

4. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I am no expert, however, diesel fuel, like home heating oil, is a commodity which is traded daily. As the cooler weather sets in, the demand for #2 oil rises. Diesel is #2 oil but with all the added state and federal taxes. This is why in the dead of winter, diesel USUALLY costs more and settles down in the summer when the demand for #2 oil is at its lowest. The law of supply and demand.
    Mark

5. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

I suppose you guys might be correct about the supply and demand
    principle. It is the obvious thing that usually drives price.

I'm just peeved because in the past, no matter how high it
    got, I always felt a little better/smarter because gas
    was always even higher. Not the case any more.

There are still plenty of advantages to justify diesel
    over gas, but price per gallon is no longer one of them.

6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing as the previous post and say that with the colder winter most of us experienced in the states and Canada, the demand was higher so production facilities switched their production of diesel fuel to other items thus decreasing the supply and upping the price. Should see diesel prices come down again for the spring summer.

7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Also, forgot to mention that an anti-gel additive is added during the winter. I guess we pay extra for that as well!!

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

A barrel of oil prouduces fewer gallons of diesel than gasoline.

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I will spell it for you

RE-PUB-LICIANS

It is a PITA that deisel is higher than premium gasoline now :realmad: :angry: :dizzy: :rolleyes:

10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I know this has been discussed in the truck forum but I just bought a GMC 3500 with the 8.1 and allison transmission. I don't think in the 7 or 8 years I will probably own this truck that I will make up the cost if I had bought a diesel. This truck pulls just as hard as a diesel is rated at the same GVCW as the diesel and correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that diesels are more costly to fix. Anyhoo thats the way I went. Yeah it drinks the gas but I didn't want to pay the extra $5800.00 bucks up front for the diesel.