Diesel Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Farmer, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Farmer

Farmer LawnSite Member

What kind of oil do you use in your Diesel Mowers? The book for mine(15 years old) said to use SAE 30, but don't most Diesels run on 15-W40 since it is a heavier duty Diesel oil? Has anyone tried just Valvoline SAE 30 in thier Diesel engine?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If you run 30w oil be sure it is diesel aprroved, if not it wont have the correct additive package and cause failure.Back in the 80's detroit diesel used 30 weight oil and cummins used 15w40. The fleet I worked for switched all of our engines to shell rotella 15w-40. It preformed well, it is easy to find and the price is very good compared to some other oils. We never had any engine problems switching the weights of the oils

3. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

Same here,Rotella is what to use..

4. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Shell rotella 15w40 is all I would ever use in a diesel. I've had four different powerstrokes anywhere from 235,000 up to 285,000 miles and never had an engine problem.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If it says SAE30, then use it. Older Ford Diesel tractors use 10w30 oil, as long as it meets "CD" classification. Remember, it doesn't matter how old your machine is, SAE30 today is far superior to SAE30 10 or 15 years ago. If it was good enough back then, it's good enough today.

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i vote rotella , thats all i use in my diesel

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

go with the rotella my company sells not only mowers but skid loaders backhoes and dozers also all we use is rotella
    john

8. Farmer

Farmer LawnSite Member

Thanks so much guys, I just got some rotella and will try it out this weekend

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Saw it for sale yesterday at tractor supply in gallon jugs.

Whatever oil you put in a diesel, it has to have the CD/CH rating.

The "C" stands for Compression Ignition, the "S" in an SH rating stands for Spark ignition.

The viscosity is more a function of what temperatures you have for overnight lows...if you are in a really cold zone, you may want to use Rotella 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.

Ken

10. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

Rotella? Why not just run olive oil? Chevron delo 400 15/40 multi grade is the only oil I have used in my semi's for over 20 yrs. Try walmart they sell Chevron,mobil and that other so called oil rotela