Diesel problems

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Apr 25, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Had to replace injector pump on my F-250 last year, While doing that, I installed Racor water seperator as well. Since that repair, motor runs good, but when I first start it in morning, she fires rite up but only runs for 5 to 10 seconds then dies. After cranking about 10 to 15 seconds she fires back up and runs ok. I figure its loosing fuel pressure some where over the night.
    Any thoughts as to exactly where I should be checking for pressure loss or other problems?

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like its not holding its prime. I know on my cummins when you change the fuel filter it will fire right up but then die because the prime has been lost. I have to keep turning the key off and on letting the pump fill the filter housing and push out the air.

Not sure but try turning your iginition on and listen if the pump runs, then shut off and do it again then start it. If it starts and stays started I would imagine you've got a pump problem or something causing it not to hold pressure. Maybe its the racor water seperator.

You could also check with the guys on the ford diesel web site; I think its www.dieselstop.com. If not let me know and I'll find it for you.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with jsr......

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replys guys, my fuel pump is mechanical however. Would the lost prime be before the injector pump or after? The order to the best of my knowledge is tank, racor seperator, mechanical pump, filter, injection pump and of coarse injectors. Could something be out of order for best perfomance?
    Also, this morning I did notice twi injectors were a little wet with fuel. I tried to tighten fittings, but they seemed pritty tight and I didnt try much if fear of damaging them. Maybe I may have to hunt down a new fuel line assembly.

5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Wet injector is not good. Better run it into your mechanic for a look see. Might be the casue of the problem.

I don't know enough about the PSD to give you anymore than this.

The only other solution; and the best as far I can tell, is buy a Dodge. j/k

Good luck.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Kind of sounds like you might be getting air in the system, the wet injectors, or the changed out water seperator may be the culprit. Go visit the Ford Diesel site for sure.

Jay

7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

PJS,what year and how many miles are on your truck? I have a 1989 F-350 and had the injector pump changed last winter at 189,000 miles. I have a different,yet,similar problem. If I do not plug the truck in over night,the engine cranks a long time before starting up. When I plug it in,it starts right up. Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise,the truck runs great.

8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm only guessing here ZX12R, as I'm somewhat of a novice at Powerstrokes, but sounds like the glow plug, or even more likely glow plug relay to me. Fords are notorious for these. The fuel pump should have nothing to do with cold starting. How does the truck start if it's warmed up?

Randy

9. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Randy,my truck is not a powerstroke which I do not think matters anyway. When the truck is warmed up,it fires right up. I did change the glow plugs myself. When you say the"glow plug relay".you are talking about the black box behind the air cleaner which sits on top of the motor,right? I changed that too. Is there a way to make sure this box or relay is working properly? Batteries are new.

10. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Even pre-Powerstroke these engines were notorious for glow plug, and glow plug relay problems. I believe on my '97 Powerstroke the relay sits inside the valley, if I remember correctly. Given the fact that it starts good when warm, I'm betting on either a bad plug, or the relay is bad. I'd start with the relay and go from there. I believe you can put a meter on the relay and find out if it's working or not. Sorry but I'm somewhat of a novious on glow plug relays (Cummins doesn't use them), and can't really give you specifics of how to check it. If you go to The Diesel Stop and enter glow plug relay in the search, you'll probably end up with enough reading to last you several weeks.
    Good luck with it.

Randy