Diesel Spill Repairs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Captain, Mar 26, 2004.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I've done a search on this problem and have come up blank on how to correct it, so I'm asking your advice.

Problem!......
    One of my commercial accounts is near a highway improvement project requiring utility reloctions. Other than the normal rutting and excavating damages, one of the contractors has apparently spilled diesel fuel over about a 10' x 10' area of nice turf grass.

Solution?........
    The contractor will probably wait until the final punch list comes out, hopeing this will be overlooked or forgotten.
    The property owner wants me to correct it now, what do you suggest? How or what do I do to get this cleaned up enough to replace or grow new turf? He will want the work done as cheap as possible even though he'll be reimbursed well above the actual costs. (You know how that works.) How much contaminated soil do I need to remove and is sod or seed the way to go?

Help please!!!

The Captain :confused:

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Since diesel fuel is oil based, it will be trapped in the soil. Using a sodcutter would probably be your best solution and replacing the affected area with new sod. However it would be best to wait until the construction work is finish, so not to damage the new sod that would be installed.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Run Captain , its hazmat , you cant carry it on your truck . Around here it has to be taken to a special facility and burned to get the oil out. You dont know how much oil was spilled . Run

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. If it's an area this size, yes, it can be done, but it's more suited for an environmental cleanup outfit to take on.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Guys

I'm going to tell the owner I'll pass. Let the guys who made the mess deal with it. I've got enough work and enough problems without this. I appreciate the advice.

Jim (The Captin)

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep i would get the EPa or Hazmat on it,If you clean it up and some one raises questions about it then your as quilty as the guy that had the spill before and proably as liable for it

7. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I agree with all that tell you to run, getting involved with this could be very bad for you. I have 17 years working for a fuel oil delivery company and have heard of some of the clean up cost one spill they had 250 gallons of oil, clean up cost I was told 125,000 and the company that does the clean up is responable for 15 years for any contamination found after the clean up.....