Diesel Standers and Walkbehinds...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, May 1, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I was doing some figuring to see if it would be cost effective for me to trade in my 260Z for a 260Z w/ the diesel. It got me to thinking about why they don't have diesel engine options for standers and walkbehinds. I noticed Kubota has an 18 HP diesel available for some of their ZTR's. Why couldn't you get that on a 48" or 52" walk behind or stander and if you needed more power add a turbo to get you 20 or 21 HP. Why haven't companies done this? Is there not a market for them? Is it not cost effective for them to put an expensive engine on a $4-7K machine that would add a $1,000 or $2,000? Is this the direction lawn mowers should be doing with higher fuel prices? I think it should be, having engines that burn half as much fuel as gas engines do per hour. I was just mulling this over in my mind and thought I would post it on here to get some opinions about it. Thanks...

2. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

i'm thinking wieght would be a major issue on a walk or stander...

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, a 8 or 9k walk-behind, were do I sign. Kidding aside, I think it would be WAY overkill and way too expensive. Also, although it wouldn't bother me, I'm sure a lot of people would get sick of smelling diesel fumes all day since the engine is mounted in front of you. Also, like someone else said, it would be quite heavy. I think more manufacterers should be looking into efi engines though. If more were produced the price might drop a little. More efficient and more power per cubic inch without a huge price or weight increase.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think, as others have said, that weight would be a major factor. EFI type engines are not as fuel effecient as you would think either. I can not remember where I read about this, but some very controlled testing has been done that shows EFI engines are really not much more fuel effecient than regular old air-cooled engines. I believe the testing showed that it is almost impossible to achieve enought in fuel savings to cover the higher cost and maint. of an EFI engine.
    As to fuel savings, the best way to save fuel is to quit putting these insanely large engines on mowers. How much power do you really need most of the time? My first 60" ZTR had only a 22hp engine, and I thought it mowed great. Now, I am like everyone else, and think I need at least a 25hp - 27hp engine on my 60"machines.
    I believe, with rising fuel costs, we all need to rethink just how much HP do we need to do the job effeciently, and buy only what we NEED, not what we WANT.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

seems like it would just dive right off a hill.