diesel truck question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by f150 with bobcat, Jan 9, 2009.

1. f150 with bobcat

f150 with bobcat LawnSite Member

i plan to buy a new full size truck in june a d-max hopefully im a fireman and sometimes get called at akward hours ie 2:30 am we have had some cold weather below freezing anyway my question is can a diesel truck get up and go at an akward time overnight in below freezing temperatures nd drive without any problems the firehouse is under 3 miles in distance

any comments would be greatly appreciated

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It is frowned upon. But i am guilty of doin it here and there. If its a newer one then yeh just dont rag on it real hard. Cummins are the best for doing this.

3. just make sure you plug it in at night.

4. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

plugged in or not it's a slow going in the northeast no matter what, it's best to let it warm up 10-15 minutes.

5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Its not good to let new diesels idle for that long.

6. f150 with bobcat

well this will be my first diesel when i go to look at the truck do i have to special order a plug will the plug make a differnce can i damaged the truck by getting up and going in cold weather

7. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what you mean by "get up and go", do you mean flooring it or like 2k RPM? I love diesel's and suggest them to everyone, but if the distance is only 3 miles and you need to be able to "get up and go", a gasser would probably be better suited for you. The temp. needle on the diesel probably won't even move before you get to the station and they don't have the same power or acceleration when their dead cold as they do when there already warmed up.

Also, the plug he is referring to is the block heater. It's a heater that runs into the side of the block to specifically heat the coolant, but will also heat the other parts of the engine as well. Most truck's sent to dealer's in northern climate come with them from the factory, but you can have them installed at the dealer or you can do it yourself. Make sure you get one if you get the diesel.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. f150 with bobcat

thank you for the info i want a diesel beacuse i plan to start a trash hauling buisness using dump trailers and i wanted to get a truck with some power so will the plug add more value to the truck if it doesnt come installed how much will it run me

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Its maybe a $100 add on, but it will be on there. Mine has one and its a southern truck.

10. f150 with bobcat

ok can any damage be done by driving it cold