Diesel trucks and lawns, restart at each lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

When your doing smaller development lawns, and your in and out in 10 minutes or even 15 minutes, do you turn the diesel engine off and restart at each lawn? Ive seen lots of companies just leave them running. Why? Hard on the starter or what?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Some feel its hard on the starter and your glowplugs. But if you look, ups and fed ex now shut their trucks off at every stop and they're stoping at least 100 times a day. I always shut mine off.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I see a reasons of reasons to shut the diesel trucks off

Pollution
    Fuel savings
    theft potential.

In many states its illegal to let tractor trailors idle for long periods of time at truck stops and rest areas. Just too much pollution caused buy it

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to work for a guy who had a deisel. We had 1 home that took amybe 8minutes at the most.. There he would just ket the truck run with the a/c on. But all the rest he always shut it off. prevent Theft for the main reason

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Just the noise of them would be enough for me..To shut them on down

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

well i agree, thanks for the opinions, at least i dont differ much from the norm then. I plan to pick one up and my gas i always turn off obviously. thanks

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We shut ours off even though a starter for a PSD is around 300 bucks

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

About you quote about it being illegal in some states to idle a truck long periods of time. Being a former truck driver, among other things, I can tell you that this is not practical at this time but may be in the future. I can remember driving through New York, almost impossible to find a parking place for a big truck period, its 20 degree's below 0 and the sign says don't idle trucks. I was definitely not going to freeze to death. They are coming out with devices at truck stops to heat, cool, and even cable, internet conections but right now a truck driver has no choice most of the time. There are not enough motels with parking to even consider that as an option at this time. I agree about the pollution and other things you said but believe me it would cost this country a fortune to set it up where truck drivers could find a place to sleep without freezing in the Winter or having a heat stroke in the Summer. Most trucking companies don't pay for rooms so there is half the money you made for the day if you did find a room. Just a thought. Trucks keep this country moving but people don't realize that this country would come to a complete stop without big trucks. Yes every one seems to hate them but everything you own was more than likely on a truck at one time. The North East is the worst. They have almost no truck stops but the most truck traffic. Don't knock the truck driver too bad until you've been in their shoes awhile, not saying you are but just giving you a view from the other side. Have a good one.

9. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

diesels don't burn that much fuel when idling like gassers, i leave mine run all the time. :usflag:

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We shut off to be polite. Starter contacts for the cummins are under $100 and the originals went nearly 130,000 on the '99. Also, there's no need to wait for the glow plugs/grid heater to cycle when it's warm.