Diesel Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blackhatch, Jul 21, 2014.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Mine is an 03

2. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Two, 07 6.0. Both have EGR delete. Praying they will last till October. Getting new trucks before the end of tax year. May be switching to GMC

3. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

can't beat a cummins for the low end torque. not the fastest things on the planet but they'll sure pull

4. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

In stock form the 6.0 is a hand grenade with the pin pulled. PROPERLY modified it is a very quiet and powerful diesel that'll run for 300,000 miles relatively trouble free. The basic design of the engine is superb. Better than the older 7.3. It was Navistar's poorly designed and rushed production emission system that causes them to cook in their own juices. Unfortunately so many stock form 6.0 engines puked their expensive guts out because of the emissions abortion that it's name will never be anything but mud. Having owned and run my own repair shop for years I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right cause I know what's needed to correct the issues once and for all.

5. kawakx125

Dodge had a lot of problems with emissions systems too until they went to a DEF system, and that's still too new to pass judgement on yet. Mainly turbos sooting up and DPF clogging on the dodges, resulting in engines that ran poorly and went into limp mode. Also issues with "making oil" and horrible fuel economy due to the way they chose to regen the dpf. IMO when it comes to diesel emissions controls Chevy is the only one who got it somewhat right from the start. Ford and Dodge it seems waited till the last minute to R&D their systems and the consumers paid the price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I think the ford 6.7 is pretty solid.. The only reason Chevy got it right is they've been working on that engine since 2002? Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kawakx125

It only took ford 3 motors to get it right lol. Thats exactly why Chevy got it right, they didn't waste any time once they found out that emissions requirements would become stricter on diesels. Automakers knew years in advance that they had to clean up diesels by XX date

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

7.3 had a few issues, but it was and is a good solid engine. If it wasn't for the wonderful EPA, it would still be around.

I used to have 3 6.0's and 2 7.3's. I now have one 6.0 and 4 7.3's. Can't wait for the day I get rid of my last one.

9. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

The ONLY reason Chevy got it right is because they turned the whole project over to Isuzu Diesel. They designed it and they designed the totally new factory in which the Dmax units roll off the assembly line. Isuzu's gas engines are nothing to brag about but they are on the cutting edge of diesel engines and have been for a long time.

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Running an 06 F350 6.0 all stock with just a coolant filter. Have over 237k on mine and no problems.