1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

diesel Vs Gas help!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 26, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a pickup for both pulling a landscaping trailor and plowing. Im looking at a diesel GMC 1500 4X4. What is diesel like? Are they easy to maintain and drive? I know they have a lot of power which I would prefer for both towing and plowing but Im not sure as to how long they last? How many KM (or Miles) can I get out of a 6.5L turbo diesel? Also whats the gas milage like?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. texas

texas LawnSite Member

i like chevies too but sry, 1500s dont have diesels.:)

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

He's talking about the older style, yes they have diesels in the 1/2 tons. I'm not a huge fan of the 6.2 and 6.5 . They don't have great power, but they do have pretty decent fuel economy. I've seen many with well over 225k miles on them.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

I was confused to. Its a 98. I was told by a mechanic today that the 6.5 duramax diesels suck and a dodge or ford would be much better. He actually said a ram 2500 with cummins and solid front axel would be better for plowing and work then a GM with independent front suspension. Is this true?

Cheers
    Jeff

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's actually a 6.6, but i have one and i won't drive a powerjoke with the torquesh*t or a cumapart. I drove all 3 before i bought my duramax. Check out dieselplace.com and see what they think about everything!

6. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

ford vs. chevy vs. dodge thats what it all comes down to. only way youll get straight answers is to test one yourself. everyone else has opionions. i drive a chevy, but love the new superduties and the new dodges, so it all comes down to personal preferences.

7. texas

texas LawnSite Member

sry. if you would've just told me....:hammerhead: j/k:)

8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

As with anyting, the guy who owns a Ford is going to tell you how Dodge & Chevy are a heap.
    I'm a Cummins guy, so naturally I think they are the best.
    Fact of the matter is, Dodge is THE ONLY truck with a true medium duty inline 6. It is the most comparable (and scaled down version) of what you see in the big rigs.
    Anyone who thinks the 6.0 is a good motor is smoking the good stuff, Ford is up to their ears in warranty work and has abondoned the engine all together for next model year.
    The Duramin has it's merits, good mileage, the new reports comming in are showing some longevity.

Get a truck thats PROVEN to run 500K miles, a CUMMINS!:clapping:

9. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

What he said.....

But as a lco you dont do a million miles so just get what works in your budget!
    I have over combined 200,000 miles on my trouble free duramaxes.

10. Deere_Daze

Deere_Daze LawnSite Member

A diesel is nice for the power and fuel economy, but you have to drive a lot of miles to make up for the added cost of buying a truck with a diesel engine.