Diesel vs. gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by agm, Jun 3, 2008.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I was considering switching from gas to a diesel truck. The only draw back I have is that diesel is so much more expensive! How many of you have done this and was it worth it? I also have noticed that the price of a new diesel truck has dropped significantly in the past few months, so if I was going to do it, now would be the time.

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I switched to diesel, and still with diesel at $4.60 gal today cost me over $153.00 to fill my truck. I am able to haul the equipment I need to daily without a struggle with decent 13-16 MPG, lower ownership costs than gasoline trucks. Make a decision on what you need, not what others want for you. Gasoline prices are at or above $4.00 per gallon, so the gap between diesel & gasoline fuel prices is closing quick; however it's still not enough to justify the diesel purchase depending on who you talk with. 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel trucks are the bread & butter sales for the auto manufactures, and right now is a great time to purchase a diesel truck. Dodge is offering a $2.99 a gallon fuel or $800.00 fuel card estimated 12,000 miles driven per year for three years, on any new diesel or gasoline truck purchase, plus additional rebates on top of that. Ford & chevy have similar rebates & incentives

3. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Thanks. Anyone else have an opinion?

4. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Diesel is good if it is a work only truck. If its also a personal vehicle, its kind of a waste. Diesels are a lot cheaper now that diesel is up. Not only are dealerships selling them cheap, but a lot of other people are selling theirs cheap to just get rid of them quick since they cant afford the gas. Does anyone know why diesel was cheaper than gas but is now more expensive?

5. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

I was thinking of switching my 2004 tundra, which I like a lot, for a sprinter box truck which would get me way better MPGs. It would also cost me $8000-$10000 more, so as someone said on this site a lot of times you save more if you avoid all the upgrading and downgrading.

How much extra would it cost get the new truck right now? how much in gas would it save you per year?

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I've found the improved fuel mileage outways the differece in fuel costs. I've been told low sulfer fuel is more expensive to produce but I think thats a crock....

7. nosparkplugs

thank you, I have been preaching that for years

8. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

I have a diesel and a regular gas truck and I get much better milage in the diesel truck. I wish iIcould get the f150 into my trailer I would drop the truck and my guys off at there lawns in the morning to save gas.

9. nosparkplugs

The big three will be offering 1/2 ton diesels in late 2009.

10. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

From what I understand, it is because the refineries have no more capacity for taking the sulfur out of diesel fuel to make it have an "ultra" low sulfur content.