diesel vs. gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 5, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

do you think the extra$ you pay for a diesel is worth it when compared to a comparable gas model? Thanks

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, if you keep the truck over five or six years

3. pines

pines LawnSite Member

OK my fault. I was speaking in terms of mowers. Sorry about that.

4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

same thought here. They are usually 5-6k more and the repairs are usually more. For a dump you are going to keep until it's dead I would say yes. For a personal/work truck, no.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm wrestling with that same idea on mowers what good is having a great motor when everything else is worn out. I think it comes down to price I personally wouldnÂ’t pay the extra to move up from say a 27 hp gas to a diesel but, when you start hitting 14000-15000 per mower on the bigger motors 31-34 the prices are very similar then. So I think I might just bite then. But it comes with other issues like you can no longer steal the mowers extra gas you have in the can to make 2 cycle.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

"But it comes with other issues like you can no longer steal the mowers extra gas you have in the can to make 2 cycle."

Never heard of a 2 stroke diesel eh?? hehe!

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I bought a Gravely 272z with a 31hp turbo-diesel last year. Gobs of torque and power. It also uses about the same amount of fuel per hour(1 gal), as my Grasshopper 725 Kubota gas (25hp).

8. LASTEC

LASTEC LawnSite Member

I test both Gas and Diesel like them both but when you really need that extra power the diesel really shines.

9. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

If you are doing this fulltime, I would say go with diesel. More torque, better fuel economy(cheaper per gal. too). If your really concerned with production, your not going to have to slow down much in high or wet grass and more than likely only have to fuel up one time. I would look at the kubota zd mowers, theres a couple of guys around here that use them with the new zd pro deck and they leave an awesome cut quality and they cost approx. 9k-9.5k. not much more than some gas models.

10. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Talked to my dealer and he said that the new Kaw DFI Not EFI was as effecent and had as much torque as a equal HP Diesel. I don't know?