Diesel Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Is there such a thing and what are the brands?

Wondering if this would be a good purchase in order to use bio-diesel in the units to cut overhead cost.

Mix a batch over the weekend and be ready to go come Monday.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have never seen or heard of that in my life. I am interested though. Sounds neat.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

so far as i know, none are made or being planned/discussed. Yeah the bio is sweet. The trouble is, one of the key advantages of a walk behind is low cost, simplicity and light weight. A diesel requires more components, cost alot more, and weighs a good bit more.....

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well Eric. Guess you should swing by my shop. I bet between the two of us. We can figure out how to mount a diesel motor to a hydro walkbehind. :D

5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

and last ALOT longer

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

itsgottobegreen- yeah lets do that sometime, only lets put it on my Lazer instead ;)

IMHO if you're going to have something that heavy and expensive with that much power, it may as well have a seat.... why would you pay $10k for a machine you still have to walk behind, and instead of the normal 2k hrs now you have to suffer for 10k hrs! LOL... even with a sulky its still a beating compared to a rider......

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I once thought about putting seperate hydro pumps and wheel motors on a 3 wheel SCAG. I then would take the wheel in the back off and use the platform as a proslide sort of thing.Because in 1996 they made a 26 hp Yanmar Diesel unit. :)

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well eXmark makes a diesel lazer. But it sucks on hills and weights too much. I plan on buying a few 60" 322d diesel grasshoppers for next year.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a Gravely 150 that I mounted a 11hp yanmar diesel on the 36" walk behind.

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a 2cyl found in a JD 735 front mower.

Vertical engine, radiator on top. Still, must be a bit heavy, although it is an aluminum block. (prob about 140-150 lbs complete motor).

This would be a good option for a 50" plus walk-behind.

Seems like walk behinds really don't burn much fuel. My 17HP 1cyl gas JD HD75 uses a lot less fuel than my 27 HP air cooled 60" Z.

If you want to burn the diesel to save fuel, I say the trucks, bigger mowers, and your personal car are where to go to save fuel. I bought a diesel E320 CDI and it is a phenomal car.

KB