diesel won't start... could it be flooded

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bruno_rs, Oct 9, 2008.

1. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey all, i ve got an older ransome t22dv (front deck mower) with a 3 cyl. yanmar or mitsu., not sure. i noticed after trying to start it, the line running from the tanks to the filter had a pinhole. i replaced with high pressure line and bled the system @ the injector feeds.

i'm not fully knowledgeable about diesels. after bleeding the system i attempted to start the engine. at 1st, it did catch (somewhat) BUT did not run and/or fire up correctly. moreover, when i attempted to give it more fuel, it died out. i continued to attempt to start it, for approximately 5 minutes... to no avail. maybe i didn't bleed it correctly and/or it's flooded?

can a diesel engine flood? if so, how do you go about un-flooding it, WITHOUT causing damage? figured i'd cut to the chase and ask the BIG BOYS... hopefully you, in this forum, will have me up and running asap. thanks for your help, looking forward to hearing from you. have a good one.

2. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

Bleed the fuel lines at the injectors one more time and report back. I've had engines that never required bleeding while I have also had engines that took an hour or more to bleed off.

3. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

I am no expert, but I just oversaw teh restarting of a diesel that had run out of fuel. There was a spot before the injectors that was bled first and then the injectors. That first spot may have been at the filter??

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Crank it over and give it a shot of eather. Not a can, but just a shot or two. This is what I always do when changing filters or have lines open. A diesel can flood, but that is rare.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Crack open all the injectors, crank it over for a few seconds, tighten them back up, then crank at 1/2 throttle, if it fails, use either, but only when the engine is cranking.

6. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

OK, check if when you turn the key on you hear or see the electric solinoid that opens the fuel rack pulls it open. If is not your cranking it with no fuel.

many of those machines have fuses to operate the fuel solenoid on the injector pump.

step 1.

Fuel at injectors>?
    if no go to the injector pump is the solenoid opening. if yess

Go to the priming pump either electric or manual is it working?

oh and just from left field i had a guy the other day but the inner air claeaner in the wrong way!

If a diesel has fuel air and compresion you will get a bang, wish i could get a BANG!

7. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

Really just need to bleed the lines, at the injectors.

I had a customer that replaced the injection pump due to the lube truck putting the inner aif filter backwards.

Funny thing was it ran!

8. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't use eather if you never use it before could do too much damage fast..use a gas rag over the air filter and make sure you hold on tight to the rag

9. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey all, thanks for the replies and suggestions. i've found another line that has a pin hole in it (pressurized rubber). i'm hoping that's what is keeping her from running. this machine has never started easily. at the beginning of the season, i installed new glow plugs and that helped a little. it is only used to mow fields, every so often.

i'm not well versed in diesel and not sure if i'm bleeding the system correctly... i cracked the nut holding the fuel line to the injector and turned the engine over, until i saw only fuel spewing from the line. once it looked like just fuel, i then tightened and moved on to the next cylinder.

am i missing something or, is this the right way to bleed a diesel fuel system? i appreciate the posts which suggested the use of ether (carefully) however i really don't want to as, i've heard some horror stories like throwing and/or bending S#!T. i thank you all and look forward to more replies. have a good o

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Proper way to bleed most Diesel engines is:
    1. outlet of fuel pump.
    2. injection pump if equipted with a bleed port/screw
    3. injector feeds at injectors and return(s) at injection pump/fuel pump

You need to bleed all of them in some cases while some will self clear after the first one is working. Don't waste time and just bleed them all. You need to bleed the returns too as in most cases they go back to one or the other of the pumps and would otherwise push air back in to what you just bled. Some secondary filter housings also have a bleed/test port.

Use caution when bleeding the high pressure lines as Diesel fuel can be shot into the skin if under high pressure. It then can cause infections.