Diesel XP and Disabling Pre Heat

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Rob T, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Hi Exmark,

I recently purchased a Lazer XP with the 27 Hp Diesel. First let me say WOW, what a awesome machine. I was always very happy with the cut on my old Trivantage decked mowers. The cut of the Ultracut deck is even better. Great job.

My Question is...Would it be damaging to the engine to disconnect the pre heat circuit. I have noticed the engine starts fine if you (accidentally) forget to wait until the preheat light goes off. So I wanted to be able to just start the engine without waiting for the preheat to go off by disconnecting it. I know it's only 5 seconds but it seems so long when it's not always necessary.

I tried pulling the 40 Amp fuse for the preheat circuit to disable it but it made the buzzer stay on when the engine was running.
    How could I safely disable the preheat?

Thanks.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Diesel engine glowplugs are helpfull when starting cold engines. I would not defeat this feature.

If however you mow a lawn, load up and go 3 minutes to the next lawn, you would not generally need to wait for the glowplug light to go out. The engine is hot enough from the previous lawn to "simulate" the effects of what a glowplug does (heat up the precombustion chamber).

Its not hurting the system, and the charging system and battery are plenty large enough to recover after a cold start. Activating the glowplugs regularly will increase their lifespan.

Hope this helps.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rob T,

What he said.

TLS gave a very good explanation. The beeper is just there to let you know the glow plugs are hot and the engine should start when you hit the key. If the engine is warm you probably don't need to wait but it certainly doesn't hurt.

The beeper runs off a time delay when you turn the key. After 3-5 seconds the light on the console goes out and the beeper goes off until the starter begins to turn the engine over. The beeper is just there to make sure on a cold morning you don't start cranking before combustion chamber has some heat in it.

The beeper is connected to the oil pressure switch and goes off if you loose oil pressure so it's probably not a good idea to disconnect it.

Thanks

Terry