Diesel Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DSLS, Sep 10, 2013.

1. DSLS

DSLS LawnSite Member

Wondering what information I can get on diesel mowers. I am looking at 3 new Gravely 460's with the 25 Kubota engine. Priced at 11,700. each seems very competitive. I have been running 27 kohler gas engines for a long time and after about 2000hrs they need replacing. How many hours are you guys seeing and just as important how much fuel do these engines use per hour? I have heard people say anywhere from 1/4 to 1-1/2 gallons per hour. Guessing that somewhere in the middle is accurate. Any pros or cons you have experienced? How about overall thoughts on the Gravely 460 machine?
    Thanks

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been running my Gravely 400 series going on two seasons now. IMO it has the best combination of comfort, cut, and quality in the industry. It is the machine that has set the bar. Mine is not diesel but I have run Kubota diesels with over 5000 hours which averaged 1 GPH.

I have a huge review on my 452 if you want more detailed info on the 400 series.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Demo the exact mower you want to buy! I tried a 60" diesel last week. It didn't like the hills, or wet grass. Night and day difference between the gasser, and the diesel.

4. GMLC

Good to know. What do you think is the reason? Under powered? Less BTS?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Who's gasser and Who's Diesel?

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If I understand you correctly, you're saying it didn't like hills or wet grass- as in being on wet grass? Or did you mean it didn't cut wet grass well?

And yes, who's machines are we talking about here?

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I run the kubota zd326. I have the 26hp diesel and I'm pushing a lot larger machine. I average 1gph cutting the worse grass working the engine for all she has. So far 0 issues with 1100 hrs. I have another 1800 hrs on my diesel grasshopper and no issues. I call false on the hills. I have never had a mower out do this kubota on a hill. It will not slide period unless the grass is wet, then any turn tire will. Some of the grasshopper guys on here are getting over 9000 hrs. These engines are 6000hrs before they expect an overhaul. You could see 10000-12000 hrs before an overhaul if you treat it well and I've gravely has its cooling system right. No real cons except weight, pro's are toque, fuel, life, and over lower maintenance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a Kubota zd221 with a 21 hp diesel and I couldn't be happier it sips fuel, less than 1 gallon per hour no matter how hard the engine works. Diesel is the way to go!

9. GMLC

I believe he demoed a gas 400 series and a diesel 400 series. For some reason the diesel didnt perform like the gas. I dont understand why that is yet?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

OK, thanks.

I don't understand it either then, and would like to hear more about it.