Diesel ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 15, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Why doesn't Exmark, Scag, etc use the 28 hp Kubota instead of smaller Kubota diesels. Is it the size of the engine or what. 25 hp doesn't seem like enough to be on a machine like a XS Lazer or Turf Tiger though I'm sure they have decent torque? Looks to me like Grasshopper has the best diesel line up. For some reason the Cat doesn't seem as popular as the Kubota. Any reason that the Cat wouldn't be reliable.

2. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that this might not be part of the mainstream of Zt's, but Lastec uses the 28 HP Kubota diesel on their 72" and 73" models, as well as the 33 HP Kubota Turbo diesel as an option. They offer the 22 HP Yanmar diesel on the 61" models. They tell me that they like the Yanmar as well as the Kubota for reliability but that the Yanmar is not as well known as the Kubota and therefore they buy the Yanmar in smaller quantities, which makes the cost of the Yanmar engine nearly the same as the Kubota. I think that the Cat diesel, in time, will become as well thought of as the Kubota diesel. I'm waiting to see who will be the first ZT manufacturer to use the Small Cummins A series of engines on their mowers. Their reputation should be right up there with the Cat. engine's reputation. They have been used in the subcompact Tractor market in Branson Tractors for serveral years now. I don't know who actually builds the engines for Cummins, but like the small Cat engines, they should be built to a Set of Cummins specs and if they have good Quality Control processes and up to date manufacturing processes, there is no reason that it shouldn't be a viable, competitive engine option in the ZT market if Cummins is inclined to get into this market. Just my opinion on the topic. Razorblades.

3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I think the small cat motor was just born not to long ago. I believe it was a perkins motor witch has been around for some time. It should gain popularity over the next few years. I see Cub Cadet is now using Yanmar.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just trying to get a feel for why the Cat isn't as popular and why they are putting smaller versions on large ZTR's like the Lazer XS and Turf Tiger. A 25 doesn't seem to have enough torque to warrant putting it on an XS top of the line Exmark.

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Just what I've been saying for awhile now! How about this: a 31hp Cummins Turf Tiger. Dream machine? Yes, yes definitely.

6. tb8100

from TX

also, where are Mitsubishi and Iseki? Even Shibaura is only just now penetrating the Z market with their 34hp on the Super Z.

7. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tacoma I know you are a big Scag fan and I agree with you 100 % it must be a cost factor. The 25 kubota option never made sense with me either. However truth of the matter is, its probably a more cost effective option based upon the price point and profit margin they are trying to achieve. I noticed Exmark and Scag picked up the Kubota all at the same time just like manufactures did with Briggs two years ago. All of a sudden everyone was carrying the Briggs engines, which I still dont trust (Im a creature of habit Kaw, Kubota,Cat). I would love to see scag come out with a 66 inch deck. And just my .02 I think Grasshopper makes outstanding mowers with many different engine options, I just wish they were faster.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is not a 34hp "Shibaura" on a Super Z, that was a Cat (Shibaura designed, built by Perkins / Cat, marketed as a Cat) and isnt available anymore / limited basis on what inventory is available in the field.

Our new Diesel Hustler Z will be a 25hp Shibaura.
    These units go into production this month.

[​IMG]

9. tb8100

from TX

My bad. I forgot you guys went with a small diesel on it this time around. I don't know why I was thinking you went with a 34.

What's MSRP on these units?

10. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Few people really, really need diesel power, and regardless of which engine you might eventually purchase, any 'down teh road' repair costs will be a killer.