1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dieseling problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dirty Water, May 7, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 87' 3/4 ton chevy with a smallblack on it. Completely stock engine. Lately its developed a bad dieseling problem. I cannot shut it off until its completely warm, or it just pops and backfires.

I'm thinking the cold start system, or the choke on the carb, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had any idea's?

2. Dirty Water

Heh, smallblock...stupid 10 minute edit rule :laugh:

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try premium fuel...

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Check the choke or if it has TBI, check for a leaky injector. Check all the basics also, timimg, plugs ect. It could be a lot of things, to include clogged EGR passages, carbon build up on valves/pistons ect.

5. Dirty Water

I just pulled the air cleaner assembly off the carb and the idle stop(?) solinoid has a broken connection to the wire, its all melted, obviously it had been arcing.

I believe this solinoid closes the butterflies when the key is off? If so, I should be able to test this by manually closing the butterflies and having someone turn the key off?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes Dirty you should be able to test it in the manner you describe.

7. Dirty Water

I've got a new idle stop solinoid ordered, and I lowered the fast idle down a good bit (it was really racing).

With the fast idle down, the truck shuts off just fine. I will replace the solinoid though.