Diesels

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by John P., Mar 7, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a car dealership yesterday and saw a 93 Chevy 3/4 ton it had the 6.5 diesel and only had 60,000 miles on it do you think that even though it has low mileage that its bad because its older?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

As long as the fenders aren't ready to fall off, a 93 isn't that bad...make sure it's turbo charged btw.

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

they are nice, but my old boss had one and had to replace the tranny at 70,000. It cost around like $1500 just for the tranny. Otherwise it tows the trailer great and make sure it is turbo.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

They are good trucks but the 6.5 is lacking compared to the ISB Cummins and the 7.3 powerstroke. A friend of mine has one and it consistently gets 20-22 mpg empty. Its slower than a 350 gasser but you can't beat the mileage.

5. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

The key is it only had 60 k on it!Any low mileage diesel is a good buy cause some danged contractor didn't beat the livin tar out of it.I have a 5.9 L '91 Dodge Cummins that I
    just bought a Stahl utility body for (used) because at 167k I think it's got a lot of life in
    it.Oh,and I bought it in '93 from a non-contractor.Anybody know much about utility
    bodies?I got this for 2k and it looks good ;the seller is going to help us change it.

6. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

What type of things should i be looking out for when buying a diesel?

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 93 Chevy 6.5T. I have replaced the engine and the tranny. The body has 200,000 miles on it. Over this time time it has had at least 3 engines and 3 transmissions, however, the previous owner was real rough on it.

Take it to a mechanic just to be sure it checks out. Diesel repairs and parts cost a lot more. The injection pump is very expensive and should be checked along with the injectors.

8. rodfather

Last month, I had to have the #5 cylinder injector replaced in one of my F-350 PSDs...$947.41 out the door. Ouch!

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Wow, thats rough was it for the 6.0 or 7.3? Did they give you the old injector? Those things can be rebuilt.

10. rodfather

it's a 7.3