Difference b/w Stamped vs Fabricated deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jan 14, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Tell me the advanatages & disadvantges to both?

Thanks in advance

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Company's such as Toro use stamped decks claiming that fabricated decks tend to crack around the welds. Ive never used one but haven't heard about this being a big problem.Guy's that use welded decks claim there's to be better because the steel is considerably thicker and will not dent and distort over time. I use toro and do have alot of experience using stamped. I can't say Iv'e had the problems that the welded guys are claiming I would. I think it comes down to personal preference with the main difference being the welded deck is going to be heavier than the stamped. IMO the only eqipment I wouldn't want a stmped deck on is a 21" mower. Cast alluminum will last forever.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

kubota now offers both,the fabricated costs 250.00 more.go figure,what,i don't know!;)

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO I would rather a fabricated deck because their not just sheet metal rolled. I think the fabricated decks are a lot thicker but that's just my opinion.;)

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The only real difference is the way they are made.

A "fabricated" deck is cut on a shear, usually bent on the front and back, and welded on the side skirts. The metal does tend to be thicker, but the only place where this really matters is on the bottom edges where you would hit something, and where the spindles mount. Both can be, and usually are, reinforced.

A stamped deck is just that. A flat piece of metal is placed in a mold and pressed. It comes out having taken the shape of the mold, which in this case is a lawn mower deck. The metal is usually reinforced in the same places as a welded deck.

Though the metal used in stamping is generally a little softer to accomadate the mold, it doesn't mean that a mfg will use a harder steel for a welded deck. FWIW, I've seen mowers more than 10 years old with both decks, and the only real advantage I see is that stamped decks can be designed to maximize airflow when that matters (mulching or bagging) and they are not generally as sturdy if the operator runs into something.

6. ANDY-W

ANDY-W LawnSite Member
    from IN

Most fabricated decks are made of 10 ga. (1/8" thick) 0r 7 ga. (3/16" thick). Stamped decks are typically 12 ga. (100 thousands thick). Lately companies like John Deer have been stamping decks as thick as 7 ga. It takes a lot of tonnage. A deck that thick and stamped has a lot of advantages over a fabricated deck. Mainly air flow and strength. I am not a big John Deer fan but it is quite a deck. I don't know if any other companys offer stamped decks that thick.

7. kaufmaninc

my thoughts were the same as eslawn. But why would the heavy hitters(exmark, hustler, walker etc) still use fab instead of stamped. The stamped can use the latest greatest computer design & over look the error of humans. The stamped is the same time & again.

yes i know tooling costs are a consideration but once they get those initially setup, your labor costs, which is your greatest liability, go down or offset dramatically.

It also doesn't seem that the stamped decks are as deep/tall. I know height is an important factor for lift & movement under the deck.

what'd ya think?

8. kaufmaninc

lawn specialties.....I'm from springfield. I sent you an email on lawnsite.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be wrong

But most of the stamped decks I've seen have been shallow when compared to a fab deck. The fab decks usually allow for more air and grass volume and that's what it comes down to sometimes VOLUME. I'll take the fabricated/welded deck.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I work with stamping presses as my full-time job. I think the reason alot of manufacturers use fab decks is because of cost. Stamping is very expensive due to the machinery, engineering, tooling and design. Fabricating isn't near as accurate as stamping due to more human error, thats one of the reasons I prefer stamping. Also, drawing steel, which is what happens when a deck is stamped, creates strength. I think cost to build, is the biggest issue when manufacturers decide what type of deck to use on their machines. Just my .02 .