Difference bet 52" Lazer and 52" HP??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Feb 27, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are there any major differences between the 52" Lazer Z and the 52" Lazer Z HP - both w/20HP Kohlers? I can get both for the same price, but not sure if one is better. I assume they are basically the same - just that the HP model is "slightly" smaller and maybe sits a little lower?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

HP has more trim side. Lower center of gravity means better hill holding ability. Shorter footprint means in closer areas. Same lenght as w/b. Higher resale with HP, heck they cost more to start with too.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tryvantage hp Ultracut Fullsize Lazer

4. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Is there really a difference in cut between the TriVantage and UltraCut decks? Is one better than the other? Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. Why would they make two different deck designs?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Under some conditions the ultracut would be the better deck. It would move more material. I've never had a problem with the triavantage decks. If I could get the ultracut on an HP I would. I asked this question to eXmark, and the reason is the HP is lower so the deck doesn't work correctly under an HP.

You would be happy with either machine. Its just a choice you must make.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It's A FASTER Deck It Also Mulches Better And You Can Run Double Blades Very Easy. You Can Also get the 27hp kohler On The Full size Lazer 52 And Mow Or Mulch You But Off.

John

7. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I think the biggest downside to the Lazer 52" is it has no trimability. If Exmark would just give a Lazer HP with the Ultracut deck and maybe some more HorsePower it would be the ultimate machine.

8. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

Which has the highest resale value? Which cost the most?
    The eXmark dealers are saying the Lazer Z 52" & 60" w/27 KOH have the highest resale value.

Troy

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Believe me there is a difference.
    Side by side running a 52" 23 horse lazer HP versus a 60" 23 horse lazer, the 60" Lazer out cuts the 52" HP in heavy grass because of the deck.

very noticable difference.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I'd agree from what little experience I had with them. I know I say this all the time. But I can't stress it enough... the closer the ratio between overall machine length and deck width the better. My machine is 4' wide and 6' long. What does that mean and why is it important? Maneuverability and productivity.

In tight places or accounts with a lot of perimeter areas that little machine will even dog a larger cut. Why? I can get in more places and what's more, I can actually turn around in them as well. As for the perimeter thing, well it just comes down to the fact that I spend less time running over the same patch of grass twice. I only have to turn one perimeter pass of 4' and I'm off and mowing because I can make my turns inside that single pass without missing grass. Think about it. On a property with a lot of perimeter, trim area and obstacles.... how many passes will I already have knocked out during the time you're making that extra round?

Yeah, the HP also has more trim on the left side which helps out. But it has none at all on the right side which matters if you are running a mulch kit or OCDC. I didn't like the offset deck design because of that and the fact you have to overlap the tire tracks on that side. I prefer a few inches of trim on each side myself....