Difference between 23hp Kaw and 25hp Kohler??!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Sep 18, 2000.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have as I'm sure some of you have read they 25hp kohler gd chariot. With less then two hours, engine is bad, rings are no good and some other stuff. I and my brother beleive we should get a new engine on our less then two hour old Chariot. Which i think is not asking that much considering we just bought the thing.
    A kohler rep. wants to just replace the block which to me and my bro id just unsatisfactory. I dont want to go buy a 01' corvette, leave the dealer, blow the engine and get the block replaced, thats BS.
    Now, we have one def. choice and one possible choice. We can downgrade the the 23hp kaw, but we dont know what kind of difference the 2hp will make? Is it anything worth b*tching over? We also may have the choice to put the *GULP* 26 HP kohler efi engine on there (dealer still looking into possiblities, not sure if they make vert. shaft.)

Bottomline is what do you guys think? I dont want tog et a new 25hp kohler and be back at the shop @ 50 hours getting the head gasket redone. Any help is appreciated. THANKS.

-Precision Landcaping
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I know Kawasaki makes a 22hp liquid cooled engine. I don't know about the 23hp. But any motor other than a Kohler would be the way to go. From all the complaints on this forum about Kohler engines, I don't think I would ever get one. I'll stick with my Kubota's.
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a range of Kohler motors from 14h/p In our Toro Pro-Lines too 20h/p 25h/p and 26h/p in the Walker mowers, hours range from 2940hrs to a new 2hrs 26EFI Walker we love the Kohlers had nothing but a total of 4000hrs of trouble free.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi 23 hp is a 680cc,Command 25 is 725cc.from my experience the kawi is more powerful than the 25 command.Get the Kawi,its a better motor period,and every Kawi is underrated anyway.I have 32 kawi motors in my fleet of carts now all 99's with over 400hrs,not one has needed even a tiny bit of oil,or a wrench on it for anything other tham maintance.Japanese have tighter tolerances and better fit and finish on products.I think of the 23hp as an upgrade,it will probably increase the resale over a kohler25 too.The problem with the 26EFI is that its the same 25hp engine with an unproven EFI system on it,so your getting the same thing you just got pulled out,with another thing to go wrong.I wish mine blew at 2hrs,then i wouldve took the machine back and left it there,cant you void the sale with 3 days?I thought you could for a major malfuction such as that.Good luck and be happy that you have the option now to get rid if it.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 09-19-2000 at 02:04 AM]
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

With only two hours on the thing and no dealer satisfaction, I'd just ask for my money back.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have been told the Kaw 23 has as much power as the Kohler 25 also. I was chatting with my Lesco dealer today and asked him if they had any problems with the 23's they use. He said the biggest problem with the 23 Kaw's is on the carb. He said it is more like an automotive type carb and it can't take the bouncing to good. Other than that, it's holding up good. This is just what I heard, so don't go bashing me. :)
  7. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

John: Those aren't lawns, those are fairways and greens. Do you own your own course or are you a greens super? I have a PGA card myself but I'm currently self employed in the lawn business.
    I don't get to play enough.
  8. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

syzer,if your still wondering,read the thread (KOHLER time for damage control). No question for me. Kawi
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

OSC,only the middle 2 are greens,the others are my lawn.It is cut at 3.5" .I am a Super,i wish a had a PGA card,Im a 10handicap,so not anytime soon.
  10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had 70 hours on my 25 Kohler when it went out. Dealer replace it with another complete motor. I have 900 on the clock now with no problems.
    I have Kaw 12 1/2 on my two walkbehinds. Great motors!