Difference between 2500 and 2501

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by Alan Bechard, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

What are the differences between these two?

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

3. Alan Bechard

Went to the dealer today and ran the 2501. Wife felt it was underpowered compared to her Kawasaki KBL 23A's. Got into some higher stuff and it just seemed to bog a bit. I assumed that the 2500 would feel the same (same motor) so we did not look at it or anything smaller.

Dealer had a demo TBC 250 PF that he said was more powerful and gave it too her to try for a couple days.

What makes the Pure Fire more powerfull?

Thoughts, insights or suggestions?

We seem to be climbing the cost ladder pretty dang fast here. Hope these things give as long a life as the Kawasaki's that they are replacing.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno if it would feel any different but the 2500 uses the same gearbox as the 230...it may take less power to turn that. The 2501 has a much beefier gearbox that is used in the 250, 270, 340...and maybe even some larger models so I would guess it takes a bit more power to spin it.

I dunno how kawasaki rates theirs...if thats what they are really putting out then they have some good power for their size. 22cc that has 1.3hp in that 23 and then the 27's are a 26cc engine with 1.6hp.

The 2501 & 2500 is a 24.5cc that has 1.2hp. The 250PF is a 24cc I think 1.3hp engine.

5. Alan Bechard

She is running it today, wonder how it will come out.

She will also run a Shindaiwa that is supposed to come in this week.

6. Alan Bechard

Just spoke with her, she is less then enthusiastic about the 250PF as well. The search goes on, may have to move her Kaw handle to a Tanaka to get it comfortable for her.....

7. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I have and use both the pf 250 and the kbl 23. The handle on the 23 is the best around. In fact the kbl 23 is a fantastic trimmer. I also think the pf 250 is one heck of a trimmer. You get more for your money buy not buying the popular brands and being smart enough to shop around:weightlifter: !

8. Alan Bechard

Never seems that we get exactly what we want, but this is what we did.

Went and picked up a 2500 for $280, not what we were originally quoted but, I did not want to argue price when we were using his weedeater for the past week.

Wife did not like the weight of the PF model.

Plan on putting the Kawasaki handle on the 2500 to make it feel more like what she is used too. Picked up an extra lower gaurd like the 2501 uses so will see which one she likes.

Hope this works out well.