1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Difference between commercial/personal mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriffn, Mar 1, 2002.

1. agriffn

agriffn LawnSite Member

Besides being more effecient what does a commercial mower do that a personall mower wont ?

its a pretty simple machine, a motor that spins a blade.

is their any differnce in the cut it makes.

why would a commercial engine last longer?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

One of the best pieces of advice you will get here is....
    Make sure you buy commercial equipment.

Commercial equipment is made to withstand thousands of hours of use. Commercial equipment withstands the abuse of day in and day out running.
    Commercial equipment is built to last! Homeowners equipment will not get you thru the season if you are using it 5 days a week all season.

And yes, the quality of cut is far superior than the homeowner models.

You pay more initially for commercial equipment, but in the long run, it saves you money and saves you headaches!
  3. Alllllllllllllllll that extra $$$$$$$ you spend on the mowers goes to heavier duty and all the R&D the MFG's put into mowers to please us the commercial cutters.

Commercial equipment out lasts home owner stuff 100 to 1.

Thiink about it this way. your craftsmen will cut 300 lawn vrs a comm that will cut 10,000 + for a guestimate life span. 300 lawns for the home owner = 10 years of 1 cut a week for 30 weeks a year.But you wont see that too often.

As with anything you get what you pay for.
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial units will have oil filters, bigger air filters, greasable bearings, bearings instead of bushings. The metal is thicker the design is changed every year to make it better. The decks don't clog, they are faster and often give better cuts.
  5. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

commercial all the way,

Since i know the quality of a commercial and the quality it gives my customers, i wouldn't suggest anything else. Heck, even for my own lawn at home, i still use my own equipment i use on my customers lawns. I believe that it's allmost a sin to look at murray lawn mowers or any of the other lawn equipment stuff i find in stores like k mart or even wallmart(I'm not tryin to nock those companys, just voicin my opinion that i wouldn't use that equipment personally). Use only get what you pay for, remember your image means a lot, show your customers that you care about them by having good quality equipment.

Also something else to ponder,if a customer sees ya using a lawnmower or other equipment thaT HE MAY HAVE IN HIS OWN GARAGE, HE MIGHT BE SCRATCHING HIS HEAD AND ASKING HIMSELF WHY HE HAS YOU SERVICING HIS LAWN WHEN HE CAN DO IT FOR ALLMOST NOTHING AND SAVE HIMSELF HIS HARD EARNED MONEY. Your appearance is important as well as the equipment you use and the quality you give. make a lasting good impression my friend.

Richard Coffman/owner
    Special Needs Lawn Services :)
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

a few things that have been mentioned. better cut, greasable bearings, better welded decks.

a 5hp mower on a murray won't get it when you put 500+ hours a year on equipment. you also have blade tip speed to consider, the faster they are, the faster you can move and have a good cut.

i bought my 36" metro over the winter. i LOVE the 15hp kohler that is on it. starts on the 1st pull every time. rugged gear box with good splines.

if you are looking into a walk behind commercial grade mower, this one ran 1999+tax. some dealers don't have the special price on them, you just have to check around. I think regularly they are 2299 or 2399, right there with the new gravely (which is nice).
  7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Just take and set a commercial mower next to a homeowner mower from Wal-Mart. I think you will notice a difference right away. If not you sure will notice a difference a couple hundred hours later. If that long. Always buy professional equipment for a professional buisness. That goes with any line of work.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with all the posts, but would like to add
    Cost of a commerecial would be much more
    a heck of a lot of headaches if you went with a homeowner unit and tried to use it in a commerecial use:D
  9. point

point LawnSite Member
    from mn

All I have ever used is commercial equipment so according to this forms rules
    I can not knock homeowner stuff because I have never used it.
    I do like my commercial stuff though cuts nice and lasts a very long time, very few repairs.
    Although the cost is 5 to 10 times more.
  10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

All i can say is "you get what you pay for ".....