Difference between FUSION and regular blades?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FIRESCOOBY, Apr 23, 2006.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I searched and couldn't find the answer.

I bought an extra set of blades when I bought my mower, and another set yesterday. The first set were not FUSIONS, but the ones on my MINI and the ones I bought yesterday were.

What's the difference? They look the same. I am no expert by any means, just wondering what the difference is, and if it's worth the small price difference?

Also, I've cut with all three ( 2 set of FUSIONS, and 1 regular) and to be honest, can't tell any difference.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusions have a treatment on the blades cutting edge so you don't have to sharpen as much and it also keeps a sharp edge longer.

3. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

Doesn't sharpening with a grinder remove the "treatment on the blades cutting edge"??

:confused: :dizzy:

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No.
    The treatment is "Fused" into the blades.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'm not terribly impressed with the Fusion blade.

I recently sent out a fusion blade with a customer to run on one of his Scag walkbehind mowers. In a month he brought it back along with the regular blade that he had the Fusion paired up with. To my disappointment, I saw about the same amount of wear and gashes in the Fusion blade as what there was in the regular blade. Maybe this was just a fluke and other applications are better. Or maybe his guys cut a crap load of rock with that mower. I guess I'd have to see a comparison with a mower that mainly mows turf areas without all the obstructions.. but where does that exist in the real world.

6. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

LOL..hence the name...

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What is the thickness of fusion blades?

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion blades std thickness is .203

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Our Hustler FUSION blades are .203 or .204" thick. I am unable to determine if Oregons' other FUSION blades for other brand mowers are thicker or not.

Fusion0006.jpg

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a good pic of the bottom of the FUSION blade.

Fusion0008.jpg