difference between kohler engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BILLY DAWG, Apr 19, 2013.

1. BILLY DAWG

BILLY DAWG LawnSite Member

I have a lazer with a 27 hp model 740-0045 and want to put back on a 740-3117 27 hp . I have heard there the same spec's and also heard that they are not . Want to know if they are because they are about $900.00 in price any help would be appreciated thank you Bill.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Bill,

The last four digits are the spec numbers, With different spec numbers there's differences between the two so their not the same..... Could be anything from charging system to throttle controls to even crankshaft size differences......

3. BILLY DAWG

BILLY DAWG LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help some of these engine warehouses just trying to sell engines and willing to not be honest to do it just ashame.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Billy... do the work...go to the kohler website and compare the parts used in both spec #'s...
    That $900 engine might work ?....Never depend on a commisioned salesman for accurate advice....
    Theres a sucker born everyday...these salesmen feel it is their right to exploit the uneducated..its not their fault that people are stupid..
    They depend on the uneducated for a living....unfortunately...there is an abundance of deceptive salesmen in this world...
    When it comes to spending your hard earned cash...trust no one...verify everything....complaining solves nothing...
    The choice is yours...

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That's why their #2 on my list of leaches......Under lawyers......

6. piston slapper

Number 1 on my list is the hack repair shops that team up a deceptive salesman with a know nothing wannabe mowkanic....
    One of the few brightspots of no longer running a mower shop is not having to straighten out the other mower shops screwups...they screwup the eqpt so bad...and charge them so much that the customers are afraid to take it back to them..
    I think they call them suckers....KaChing....

7. piston slapper

Sorry bout sidetracking your thread Billy...
    The main part numbers you want match if you check the spec numbers are...
    The crankshaft..
    The flywheel.
    The stator..
    The wiring harness..
    You could prolly exchange any other parts you need from your existing engine...