Difference between Scarifier & Box RaKe??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yacht, Oct 14, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I know the physical difference between the two of them but they look like they do the same thing. What is the advantage of one over the other. Is one piece of equipment more for special tasks than the other? I am looking to do lawn installations and general grading. I guess with what little I know the box rake may be best for me. Any insight on this is appreciated.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you referring to the difference between a box blade and one with the "claws" underneath?

If that's the case, the claws can rip through compacted soil layers.

Large versions are - I think - used to rip through compaction layers about 10" down, called tillage pans, resulting from years of disc plowing fields.

It may take a CAT to pull the ones needed on those fields.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If your talking about a box scraper the common ones you see at TSC they run from 5-6 ft wide and have approx. 6 scarifier teeth cost around $500. If thats what your talking about I've used one in the sub-division on the hard packed clay with all the rocks and think they work really well to tear up the soil to about 3 inches deep. They take an awful lot of abuse because they really don't have anything to break. You will need something to go over the soil with to brake it down more to do lawn installations [pulverizer or harly rake] but they great if you don't want to beat the crap out of your other stuff breaking the hard pan loose.

4. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I was on Landpride's website and they show a scarifier as having 9 teeth kinda like a chisel plow that is 3 pt hitch mounted The boxrake has 6 or 7 teeth with a box around it I'm assuming to pull the soil you've ripped up. Olderthandirt: Can the teeth on the boxrake be removed for general finish grading?

5. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

If the only reason you're using a box blade is for the scarefires then you need about a 7 to 9 shank cultivator instead. This makes it soo much easier than having to manually move scarefires up and down on your blade and not to mention it doesn't collect dirt like the bottom of the box will as the scarefires get deep. Stray away from junky box blades as well, you get what you pay for. I'd destroy a TSC brand in a yr or less.

6. olderthandirt

from here

Yacht
    Yes you move the teeth up or down as to the depth you need max about 3 inches and remove them for grading. I've moved alot of clay with the box leave the teeth in and you keep cutting and pulling soil. Remove the teeth and it won't cut hard clay very well but it will get some. also I use mine to cut drives in, spread stone almost any thing a SMALL dozer can do you can also provided you have the hp. to use it. And Rabbit Ive'had mine for over 10 yrs. and the only damage i've done is bent the heck out of the scarifier teeth. Just put em the press and can get them alful close to straight again. I did that cutting tree roots to remove some small stumps Mac

7. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

OTDirt - So would you say that the Box rake is more versatile than the scarifier since you are able to remove the teeth to drag dirt if needed vs. the scarifier that doesn't have that option?

8. olderthandirt

from here

Yacht
    Thats my opinion I can back up to a pile of dirt,stone, whatever drop the box and pull whats in it to where I need it, within a reasonable distance. I used it to spread a lot of top-soil on new lawn installs that way. Plus I use mine to push everything that it can pull. I got a 5ft box and use it with anything from a 23 to a 45HP. trac. I payed around $450 and its one of the best investment in equipment I've ever made.