Difference Between Stihl & Echo Edger Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by schumany, Aug 5, 2005.

1. schumany

schumany LawnSite Member

Here's a strange one for you. I have an Echo PE-200 edger which I have been using all season with Echo blades. A couple of weeks ago I went to the lawn equipment store to a buy couple of replacements. They didn't have any Echo blades in stock, but did have some Stihl, which they buy in bulk. They said they were the same any would work fine. I went ahead any bought a couple. About three days after I put the first one on, the edger started vibrating wildly. Turns out the Stihl blade had worn unevenly and was now out of balance. I put the second one on, and the same thing happened. Has anyone experienced this? I will be darned to know what's happening. ;)

2. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

you might have gotten a bad batch or somehow got some dirt wedged in there during the changing process. I run both stihl and echo(however i use aftermarket blades) and have never had problem using about 100 blades per year.

3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if its the brand or not, I have in the past had the blade vibrate real bad and I had to change it out way before I usually do, I'd have to agree on what moremowing said with the bad batch. I use cheap aftermarket blades and don't ever run into that problem.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You can switch the blades around and get another use out of them. This would help the vibration. I use Stihl with no problems or vibrations.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

the only difference I have seen is the price. Both seem to wear the same for me.

Echo 2.50
    Stihl 1.39
    unpainted aftermarkets 1.29

I buy the Stihls no probs so far.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It just happens every now and again with blades...ANY blades. It's just the way they wear once in awhile...it's not the manufacturers. Hint: Stihl does NOT make edger blades...Echo doesn't make them, either.

7. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Aftermarket ones are what I use. .89 per blade when you buy 25 or 50.

No problems so far.

Good luck!!!

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I didnt think Stihl made them themselves im sure they are outsourced but mine clearly are engraved STIHL on them. They are prolly all made by the same company anyways.