Difference between Toro Proline and 20487 Super Recycler??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Catmann, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I am getting a mower for my home use only, which is 9,000 sqft of hills and undulations. I mulch 30 out of 32 cuts per year (as an average) so I want to get the best mulcher I can.

I thought my wife would like the Personal Pace on one of the Super Recyclers, but she said she hated it and preferred the 3 sp BBC 20487 model. This model comes without a bag, so if i add one I am over $800. If i am going to go that far I might as well consider the Proline series, but no one locally has any in stock that I can look at in person.

I know someone here has both of these and I am looking for some feedback. I am not sure why the 20487 is so expensive as a super recycler series mower. It is a 6.5 hp OHV engine, but the two lower models are 6.75 hp. Maybe the 20487 is not a Briggs engine, but something different (I forgot to ask)?

I thought my wife would have difficulty squeezing the drive on the 20487, but she says it is ok. From the pictures I see, the Proline had staight handles versus the "ergonomic" slanted handles on the 20487. Is this easier or more difficult for a women of small stature to handle the Proline's? She likes the BBC, so of those in the Proline series, are the controls of the mower different? I do not see the "deck" or "plate" where the throttle and speed controls sit across the top of the handles on the 20487 on the Proline series.

Anyone think the cut is different between the two, or have any other insights to the differences? The deck on the 20487 looks different than the other super recycler series. I do not know if this is good or bad. Any help?? Thanks!

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

both of these a fairly similar, but the Proline will be heavier which women generally do not like.
    the deck and controlls are similar but the non commercial will be more comfortable for her.
    I had this mower a couple of years ago with the 6.5 hp, and it was a Briggs-toro said it was their own-I was not happy with it and sold it 1 year after i bought it
    but if you like Toro this is the best way to go

3. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I am not stuck on Toro, but just want a good cut and something my wife can handle. Why did you not like this mower? What did you replace it with?

My dad has a JD JX75 and that seems like a decent mower. 6HP Kawasaki I believe. It is really quiet. So quiet i thought it may be lacking power, but I tried it out yesterday and it worked nicely. He only had standard blades on it and it mulched well, but the topgrowth has really slowed down around here now, so almost any mower would look decent at this time of year.

I am open to "suggestions", such as gravely, Metro 21 (or is that just a Pro-Line?), John Deere, whatever. Whatever is a good mulcher and relatively easy for her to handle. She does not like the wheel offset on LawnBoys, so that is the one brand I cannot consider.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

it was a good mulching mower, but i did not like how the blade brake system worked -- it is tied into the same bar as the drive, when you release the bar to shut off the selfpropelled the blade brake would sometimes release as well- this was a hassle
    the other problem is I felt the engine was underpowered and had problems with it bogging down
    i bought a honda hr215hxa, this is the masters series- and is not made for mulching well, if i mulched i would buy either the Harmony Hydro or the Comm. Hydro - which the Comm. might be to heavy for your wife
    have not had alot of experience with John Deere because one dealer in town sales and repairs them - and if you are the only dealer you can charge what ever you want on parts and people have to pay it
    John Deere may be your only other choice if you want blade brake
    i think Toro, Honda, and John Deere are the only ones left that have that system.

and yes the metro is a toro proline - i think Toro owns Exmark
    I did not think gravely made a small walk behind ill have to check that out.

hope that helped a little, but i think the Honda and Deere are built better

5. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The Gravely doesn't look too bad, but with the Briggs engine and steel deck, I don't think it is in the same league as the Toro 2 stroke commercials. For $100 more, I would definitely go with the Proline 2 cycle. Good point saw man, the Toro does tie all the controls into one bar. To some this is good, but others might not like it too much.

7. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I do not think I could find a Toro 2-cycle anymore, since no one has any in stock to even look at, I assume they cannot order one. Is it possible the factory still has stock of these despite production being over?

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Try alamia.com, last time I checked they were advertising the 2 stroke for ~$955 shipped. I should probably order one if they are going to stop making them and get rid of my Honda and Deere.

9. Most 2 cycle engines will disappear in the next couple years since they can not meet federal emissions requirements. That's part of the problem. In order to use 2 cycle engines, the manufactures have to get the machines to run very lean, so loose lubrication and your left with a useless machines.

You won't find a 2 cycle mower anymore in California for this reason. CA has always been ahead of fed gov in emission requirements.

John

10. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

Are two-cycle engines louder than the 4 cycle OHV engines?

Even though my company does not mow anymore, we still keep three 15 year old LawnBoys with 2-cycle engines and they keep-a-runnin'!! But they are kind of loud, but that may have changed in the last 15 years?