1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Difference in Cat and ASV MTL's?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by nedly05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

they are very similair , are u gonna be trying to dump in that mack , the 80 dumps higher then the 277,and i really like having 15inches of ground clearence on the 80 compared to the 8.8 inches on the 277

i found this video , yes i know alot of it i posted already but this is the whole clip from ASV

2. jimmyjack

no the outside is as no metal,but like i said from the front it would be very hard ( i think ) to hit the tank, this isnt plastic like a milk carton its thick heavy duty stuff
  3. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

You need to be the poster child for ASV. I got something for you here in NC Too. The undercarriage on my cat doesn`t say ASV anywhere it says Caterpillar and you are wrong, they are not identical look at the wheels on a SR-80 then go look at a 297C CAT see if you can spot the difference
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I would say the Cat 277C will out push the ASV, Cat uses planetaries on the drive motors, ASV uses direct.
  5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think -- and this is purely based on hypotheticals -- that the ASV would do better in deep mud and deep snow. Cats only have around 9" of ground clearance, and frankly, that is pitiful. I really can't see a Cat doing very well in deep mud. Snow probably won't be as big a problem unless you plan to drive through snow drifts rather than put your bucket/blade down, but if you plan to operate in swamps or really sticky clay (which NY is not really known for), the ASV might be a better traction machine.

That being said, I want to bring up a point: in most situations, either machine will work just fine. You might get a slight "off-roadability" edge with the ASV, but I think you'll enjoy working in the Cat cab quite a bit more. Dealer service is dependent on region, of course, but the question I'm getting at is whether you're looking for that niche machine or something that'll do the job. If price isn't an issue, then I think a Cat works well. If you're price conscious and *do* need to work in the worse possible conditions MOST of the time, I think the ASV makes more sense.
  6. jimmyjack

your getting all pissy about nothing , your bitching about my chevys better then your gmc:hammerhead: back in 2001 CAT had a joint venture with ASV for them to use their new MTSS track system on CATs new MTL skids that just came out , that contract ran out in oct of '05 but resigned in nov '05 efftive till nov 1 2010 for ASV to supply CAT with its undercarriage on its MTLs , just because you dont see anything saying ASV doesnt mean its not ................ the SR80 was around before the 297C ....everything on your 297 can be put on my PT80 if you have the dual level suspension other then your drive motor .....yes your right nothing on your 297 says ASV even though it is

sorry to get involved in this pissing match , but you sound really ignorant and your salesman is misinformed
    you should have your facts straight before you get all mad and sh!t
  7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Spring needs too get here soon!!!!!!!:waving::usflag:
  8. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

I`m not being pissy, Digdeep started with the insults and i replied. I`m very well aware who makes the undercarriage for CAT but you can`t tell me that CAT doesn`t have any input as to what goes on their machine. You say everything on my 297C can be put on your PT-80---- You need to have YOUR facts straight Try and put the bogie wheels from the CAT on your PT-80. Really big of you saying i`m ignorant, Don`t think so!!You know nothing about me or my salesman I`m simply stating my opinion on the experiences i`ve had. I thought that was what this site was for but everybody has to get all defensive
  9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I apologize if I offended you. I didn’t think I was offensive in saying, “I just love it when people make broad based statements based only on their individual experiences.” I guess I was wrong.*trucewhiteflag*

You said- “You need to be the poster child for ASV. I got something for you here in NC Too. The undercarriage on my cat doesn’t say ASV anywhere it says Caterpillar and you are wrong, they are not identical look at the wheels on a SR-80 then go look at a 297C CAT see if you can spot the difference." You missed my point entirely - I admitted that the bolt pattern on the wheels was different- “Other than the bolt pattern on the wheels, the bearings and metal face seals are the same.” And I never said that CAT didn’t have input only that they didn’t design the undercarriage. ASV confirmed this as well.

I hate to prove a point, but I called ASV just to set the record straight. It does say ASV on the wheel hubs- look into between your wheels at the casting. Also take a closer look just opposite of the CAT part number on the wheels and you’ll see the ASV part number on all of the wheels-
    15” Idler CAT 309-3297 ASV 2035-713
    10 Bogies CAT 309-3298 ASV 2035-714

They also use the same seal and bearings on all wheels. Here are the part numbers-
    Seal 63mm- CAT 258-3035 ASV 2035-189

Bearing- cup CAT 002-1212 ASV 2035-017
    Bearing cone- CAT 2F-8509 ASV 2035-018

Oh, and they use grade 8 bolts.

Call me a “Poster child” if you want; however, I don’t crow about the ASV product any worse than others on here talk-up Deere, Bobcat, CAT, Case, Takeuchi, etc. We all have the machines we like. I’m just careful about making broad based statements that are either not reflective of the entire market, don’t represent the entire brand; happen to be erroneous, or derogatory towards someone's choice of equipment. I didn’t say that I was never wrong, but I try to be cautious about what I post.

I wish you the best of luck with your machine. Enjoy the ride, traction and performance provided by that ASV designed undercarriage that has CAT’s input in it.:drinkup:
  10. jimmyjack

thanks Digdeep for getting the part numbers