Difference in Cat and ASV MTL's?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by nedly05, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem. I don't mean to be a PITA, but nedly05 asked about the difference between the machines and I felt that there was a statement that wasn't representative/accurate about the product. I would have had no problem if it was specific to personal experience and related to a more current machine (not one produced back in the late 90s or belonging to "lots of other owners"). I'm not targeting MackCat either. I'm sure he is a great guy and feels strongly about the machines he owns just like all of us on here.

2. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

I understand where you are coming from didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but out of curiosity i looked up the parts list for a PT-80 undercarriage and if you look at the bearings in the bogie wheels they are still using the 6207 china made bearing that i had so much trouble with on the 2810 and 4810 that i owned. so i looked up the same parts list for my CAT and they don't use that bearing they use the heavier cone bearing. I hear what you are saying but there are some differences.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think MackCat is right on this one -- I think there are duo-cone seals on the Cats but not on the ASVs. (Not positive of this and I don't have a direct way to check.)

That being said, maybe we could continue discussing merits of each machine and shake hands on the semantics... i.e. move on. :)

4. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

I think that would be a great ideal*trucewhiteflag*

5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

The decision goes to Digdeep via superb grammar and punctuation.:laugh: You should have been a teacher!:drinkup:

6. nedly05

nedly05 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that sounds like a good idea!

I'm really liking the sounds of 15" of ground clearance!

7. Digdeep

I'm way better at math :weightlifter:

8. Digdeep

Sorry Xing, last comment (can't help myself) and I'm done- both definitely have face seals page 2 of the PT80 brochure.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I knew the ASVs had metal face seals, but this is my bad -- I was thinking they were two different items. I do recall going home past 5PM several times and seeing the Cat UC engineer still working on a design -- so there has got to be *something* that Cat did to the design -- but ultimately, I wasn't in purchasing or sales and don't honestly know if there are significant differences between the ASV and Cat UCs.

Nedly05, I'm a Cat fan... I think the C-series has some serious drawbacks, but it isn't a bad machine by any means. Again, I think that in most situations you're going to be able to get the job done with either an ASV or a Cat. That being said, if you're willing to put up with a more barren cab, the ASV may be a good alternative for you (provided the price, dealer support, and machine condition are all acceptable).

10. nedly05

nedly05 LawnSite Senior Member

I think the ASV is the best route for us. I was talking to Dad about it yesterday and we were watching the vids on you tube. I told him how the cat has nearly the same bottom as the ASV. He said dont buy it unless you see it run against the ASV, he was seriously impressed with the ASV and thats the route he wants to go.

It wont be run in the worst of conditions on a regular basis, but its good to know you can go there when you need to!