Difference In Super Z & Atz Wheel Motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Nov 26, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This explains the difference everyone talks about between the Hustler Super Z wheel motors and the Hustler ATZ wheel motors with the operating reaction between each mower.

Reid,
    > The RC motor is a version of the RE 530 series as shown on the website
    but with a special bearing package. For the RC18 you would look at the specs for a RE 530 series with 300cc displacement. For the RC28 you would look at the specs for the RE 530 series with 470cc displacement.
    >
    PDF attached:

Dick, how would the 300cc versus the 470cc react in actual application as
    what you would notice between the operation in the same mower. What would be the difference in speed versus pulling power, I actually hear
    complaints of the faster Super Z (15 mph) not having enough hp on hills with the 21cc pump to hold the rpm level on the engine for good cut quality. I think the ATZ which is more of a hill mower only has a 10 mph top speed but more pulling power, is this because of the 470cc wheel motors?
    >
    > From: "Dick Zachary" <dzachary@whitedriveproducts.com>
    > Date: 2007/11/26 Mon AM 10:34:20 EST

Reid,
    Yes, the 470cc, because of having a larger displacement would have more torque output and therefore, more grade ability than the 300cc. The trade off is that the 470cc would run slower. You are basically looking at the ratio between the two sizes to quantify the difference. The 470cc would have approx. 50% more torque than the 300cc but run at only 2/3 the speed of the 300cc at equal flow and pressure.

Dick Zachary

>
    >
    >

2. puppypaws

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Atz motors on my Super Z and it runs 14 mph GPS. Alot more torque, though. It seems like the only difference is maybe a little bit more constant drag on the engine.

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

... But, on extreme uphills, it has a lot less surge load than the original motors.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So....not much slower at all? Why then does the ATZ only run 10mph?

Any negatives?

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

No negs. I love them... especially on my hilly, mountain properties. The stock super z motors are great for normal applications, though.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What were you GPS'ing with stock motors?

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

I'm not sure. I decided to clock it after the change over because I couldn't really notice a decrease in speed.

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

TLS, Do you run your 2760 with a mulch kit and the ocdc? If so, how does it cut open and closed?

10. puppypaws

I thought it had a 10 mph ground speed but was wrong, it is 9 mph but it has 50% more torque.

This is out of Hustler's ATZ manual.

Ground Speed Infinitely
    variable: 0-9 mph (0-14.48
    kph) forward, 0-5 mph (0-8.05
    kph) reverse

I'll be darn if I know how he is getting 14 mph out of RC 28 motors that is impossible according to White, Dick said 2/3 speed of the RC 18's on the Super Z.