1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

differences between exmark and hustler?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fulano, May 15, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to get a mower and stopped at both a hustler dealer and exmark dealer this morning. I think a 36" will work good for me but maybe a 48".

What would be the main differences other than the hustler solid hydraulic lines, electric start standard on hustler, bigger filled standard tires, and controls between the two? Are the pumps the same air cleaners same engine, drive motors,etc?

Exmark turf tracer hp 36" 15hp kaw kai v twin
    Trimstar 36" 15hp kaw

or maybe

Exmark turf tracer hp 48" 17hp kaw kai v twin
    Trimstar 48" 17hp kaw

I noticed there was big difference in weight between the 48" hustler and the 48" exmark(67lbs). Why is that? Not so much in between the 36" models though(19lbs).
    The tires would have something to do with that because they are the same on both hustlers but the exmars use different between the two models. But what else makes the weight difference?

There is a pretty big difference in price as well with the husky costing several hundred less than an exmark.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am a bit confused here, we do not use solid lines on our walks and electric start is not standard either.
    The front tires on our TrimStars are flat free semi pneumatic tires, the rears have sealant in them to help with small punctures.
    Part of the weight difference is going to be our 48" XR-7 deck, there is a lot of steel in that deck compared to other brands on the market.
    Drive the TrimStars, with the H-Bar you will love it!
    Part of the cost difference is going to be our hydro system, we use a integrated drive system (2 of them, one for each wheel) where the eXmark uses 2 pumps (Hydro Gear BDP-10) and 2 wheel motors.
    We use the Hydro Gear IZT models and it works great, we have been using them for about 5 years now (in riders), these IZT's have the charge pump / rotation group out of the Hydro Gear BDP-10 pumps, so they are great hydros.
    Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for information.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

H-bar controls on the hustler only.
    Drive one you won't look back.
  5. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

I purchased a Exmark 36 tthp w/ecs last year...very good machine

but recently purchased my first Hustler, and got to demo a 48 trimstar...

Go with the trimstar 36 or 48 your hands-wrists-forearms, will be thanking you for many years to come.

No more red for me all hustler!