Differences between Exmark Metro 21" and Toro Proline 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

So my local Exmark dealer is telling me they're thinking about having a sale on Exmark 21's in the next couple of weeks. Sounds like they're going to let the BBC models with the 6HP Kawi go for $995. Sounds like a great deal to me! Are there any differences between the Metro and Proline 21's that would make the Proline the better choice? Exmark dealer is close and seems fairly organized, I haven't dealt with them before, I guess I could use this as an opportunity to try them out.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The handles are alot weaker on the Exmark! Go look at the difference, the Toro's handle is nice and fat compared to the Exmark. My customers have said that the Toro mulches better, maybe because of the plastic kickers uder the deck and the blade design.

3. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

The handles are not weaker. The handles are smaller on the Exmark for comfort. The thickness of the metal is not lacking. The Toro may be "fatter" but they could also be more "hollow" inside. The Exmark has bushings on front wheels where you can easily adjust height, and doesn't get sticky after years of use. Speed selection is also on the handle, instead of having to kick a gear selecter with your foot that is located under the bag on the frame.

4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Every Exmark we have sold has come back w/ a broken handle down towards the bottom where it bolts to the frame. Very few, if any, Toros! Buy the Toro.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Exmark is hard as heck to adjust the front wheels on. I hated the two I had because of that. Also, stay away from any Exmark/Toro with the BBC. Nothing but a headache. A dealer here will not even carry the BBC models due to constant problems with them.
    your dealer is probably trying to dump those BBC models as he is stuck with them.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, may have to go with a Honda then. I kinda wanted the Toro/Exmark because I hear they mulch a little better than the Honda commercials and I'm going to try and mulch as much as I can. Dumping grass is no fun and I have accounts that I can mulch, a couple I HAVE to bag, but there's a couple I can mulch so I want the best mulching mower possible, but if the BBC is crap maybe I'll look at the Honda. I read on here somewhere that the Honda's don't have a guard or something to keep debris from getting into the tranny or something like that. What's worse? A bad BBC or a bad tranny?

7. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member