Differences Between Stander And Great Dane Super Sufer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC., Jun 11, 2005.

I am looking into getting a 52" Stander or a Great Dane super surfer what are some differences between the two.

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The stander is a fixed deck, the great dane is a floating deck. Both of the ones I looked at had Kaw's on them The dealer I talked to told me that both have them same hydro pumps, don't know if that is true but it didn't matter which one he sold so I figured he's right. I think the stander is where you can lean into the machine a bit more, seemed to me. I liked both went with the great dane because of the floating deck. JMO, Tony
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

JD bought this model from Scag. Dane Scag was involved in a law suit because it was alleged that he copied the design of the Wright Stander. Because of that law suit, Scag was required to extend the front tires on his machine by a minimum of 6". This makes the wheelbase longer and shifts more weight on to the front tires, making it harder to hold it's grip on a hill and also turn around as compared to the Stander.

To illustrate this, try pumping the control handles forward on a Stander, step one foot off the back, and then pull back on the handles. It is balanced so well that you can easily pop the front tires off the ground to jump a curb. A dealer once did this for me and walked it up a tree, put on the parking brake and said this was a fast and easy way to change the height adjustments.

I've never done the same maneuver with the JD machine, but I suggest that you try it and see what happens. The lighter the weight on the front tires, the quicker and easier you will make zero turns.

I suggest that you call Wright Mfg. (301) 360-9810 and ask for Bob Best. He will give you the complete comparison of the design features of two machines.

Most guys buy things without checking too far into the engineering, but after you buy a piece of equipment, it's the engineering that either makes you fuss and cuss or makes you smile every time you use it.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere bought Great Dane. That's where they got the standup model. Dane Scag did own Bob-Cat, Scag and Great Dane at one time.

Thanks for all the help. I will further check into it.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks you just saved me from having to explain everything.

Wright is the best.
    Dane/JD is junk.
    See above for why

Nope Wright has an agreement to be the only company to used the pumps that are on the stander. Danes have the same pump as any scag walkbehind.