Differences between XR-7 Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

It's been a while since i've been on here and kind of lost track on all the deck updates and changes but the main thing i'm wondering is what is the differences between the original XR-7 decks that had the cutting problems and the new XR-7's that are being produced now. What changes have been made to the decks and are they working or is there still some issues?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well the new XR7 deck pictured this month in Turf magazine had the rear triangles like the old deck. That's all the difference I could see. What are you running now, Ferris? I'm running Exmark Ultra Cut and a Scag with the Velocity deck. I'm very satisfied. Here a picture from the magazine. Still a lot of compaints from the Xr7 and the Triton. They may send the XR7 with the cut out triangles to some parts of the country. How ya been Travis?

New XR7.jpg

3. Travis Followell

from KY

I've been staying busy. We are still running the same machines. An old JD front mount F-620 z-trak, Woods M-2560 mid mount, and a IS3000 Ferris which is our newest mower. It's about 3 years old now.

On the other end of the farm they run all Hustlers. They got 2 super Z 27/60's with the old style deck and a new 30/72 XR-7 thats about a year old. As far as I know they aren't having any cutting problems with it. Coarse they run it on a golf course where there no weeds just grass and mow 2-3 times a week.

Oh, btw just curious but who did you buy your Scag from?

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is where the Super Z shines, you keep the fairways cut tight so you have a good area to hit your next shot from. You cut low with the Super Z and run 15 mph with no problem on a golf course fairway. I don't know what grass they have but all the golf courses I have played use Bermuda for the fairways.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Scag was a left over tractor (31 hp) that they put a new Velocity deck on and tried to sell as an 06 instead of an 06. Took me a while talking to Scag and giving them serial #'s to find out the Turf Tiger wasn't an 06 except the deck. Scag said it wasn't that unusual for them to ship a tractor separate and have the dealer install the deck but I threw a pretty good fit and they added a suspension seat and fold able rops in on the deal.

So I ended up with a great 31 hp, 60" Turf Tiger that is a real cutting machine, especially in 10 day and bi-weekly accounts. It is no where near as smooth as the Hustler (the Hustler Handles better and rides better) but when it comes to cutting grass it will go from a bush hog to a fine finish mower.

I bought it at Beards in Liberty. They told me it was an 06 for sure until Scag said otherwise but at a little over $8,000 it was still a great deal. That was $2,000 less than Lexington dealers wanted. I'm pleased but probably won't do business with them again. They say they didn't know about the year mix up (distributor also) but once I had Scag on the phone they were tripping all over themselves to make it right.

I miss the way the old Hustler handled but not the cut for this area.

6. puppypaws

You got a heck of a mower for a heck of a price, you would not get that deal again; you were very lucky. They new you had them handcuffed and they wanted the key...

You see what I said that old Yazoo you posted was used for, if you take and put it out now you will be able to catch bass around it post spawn.

7. Travis Followell

from KY

They actually use it mow the primary rough, all the areas around the fairways. I'm not sure what type of grass it is. They mow the fairways with a Jacobsen reel mower. The cut the primary rough at around 3" I think with the Hustler, an 84" Lastec articulator, and a Jacobsen WAM.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like Hustler is going back in the right direction.

[​IMG]

With the old rear baffling back, I bet it does better than before.

Did they go back to the three 21" blades setup though?
    Hard to tell there, but I am guessing no...

9. puppypaws

I am sorry I was thinking it was a small golf course that could not afford a Jacobsen reel mower. That is a high dollar machine that will flat out cut a lot of grass in a short period of time.

10. puppypaws

I am sorry I was thinking it was a small golf course that could not afford a Jacobsen reel mower. That is a high dollar machine that will flat out cut a lot of grass in a short period of time.

Most of them I see cut the primary rough with a Jacobsen WAM.

Sorry, double post off of an edit, my fault...