Differences in Bagging and Mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cwlawley, Nov 5, 2005.

1. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone. I am new to the industry and I have a question about bagging and/or mulching. I am in North Carolina where grass grows relatively fast making bagging a pain. I have read a little about mulching which I am most interested in. I like the look of not having the grass clippings all over the place but like I said, pain. Can mulching look as good?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Just looking for shortcuts.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

When I get threw mulching a yard you can not tell the difference if I had bagged it. Have been able to convert some old farts over with SCBS that wanted it bagged untill they saw what I could make it look liked mulched. If a yard has a lot of pine straw I will still rotate between bagging and mulching since straw will create more thatch than what is acceptable. Leaves are never a problem. Also on yards that have few or no trees and healthy grass leaves a nice "manicured" look with no grass clippings or clumps, one of the things you will never see in my yards is clumps of grass of grass "turds". However if you are doing thick, wet tall grass the mulcher will slow you down. Not sure what kind of grass you have in NC compared to mine but nothing can be worse than bahia!

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

What Qaulity said. If you can convince the customer to try just one cut using a commercial mulching mower they will be happy with it. The civilian mower they once used left a mess and they are afraid you will too. But once they see good results they are convinced. They sometimes ask how much a mower like that costs. They ain't likely going to buy one.

You have to bag sometimes but avoid it if you can.