Different blades on a Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Feb 26, 2005.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Just wondering if anyone that owns a Hustler Z or Super Z has tried a different blade. I'm thinking of trying a narrower blade that doesn't have the offset. The Hustler blades for the 52" deck are 3" inches wide and some of the other brands are 2-1/2". Seems like it would take less power to spin the narrow blade since they are lighter. Without the offset the cutting height would have to be accounted for and the length of the blades would have to be shortened about 1/16" on each end since the Hustler blades measure 17-7/8" as opposed to 18" for the others.

2. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

Good question, I know that the offset is accounted for in the blade height adjustment and if you put a straight blade on, you will need to measure the offset and calculate the appropriate changes in blade height. As for a narrower blade, I am also interested to see if it would make a difference in engine rpm or an increase in blade tip speed.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler is supposed to come out with a "new" style of blade by spring. I would guess it will be a straight blade with high lift. At least I'm hopeing it will be. If so, we will also have to use spacers also.

Gene

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The new blade that they are supposed to have is like double blades in a way but it is just one blade with another blade made onto it but its not a full legnth second blade. Its like a hlaf of a blade laid on a full blade but its made that way. I have heard that blade does a great job in wet grass and it eliminates clumps. Hope that makes sense.