different hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 27, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

people here constantly talk about hourly rates. the thing i don't get, is how can you charge say, $50 per man hour, for a guy picking up sticks and weeding beds, and the same $50 per man hour, for a guy with a $500 blower on his back running full throttle for 2 hrs? as i was doing my cleanup today, i thought about this. if i were charging an hourly rate for say weeding and general labor, how could i charge the same hourly rate for labor that involves running a blower and mower (cleanup)? any input?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I see what you mean.

My question: If you charge $25 per hour for weeding and $75 per hour for anything that involves using equipment, the rate would be an average of $50 per hour, if the time spent doing both was equal. But if the time isn't, and you do more general labor, wouldn't you lose money in the end?

All this being said, how much would you charge per hour to use your power equipment? How much for general labor?

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I charge 2 rates, one a labor rate and the second a machine rate. Most of the time a machine or equipment is used for a part of a job so I can charge the higher rate for part of it, but the job is also finished sooner. Faster finished, faster home.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

i am completely away at this point from charging hourly rates. i think if you quote what you need to, and the customer hears the hourly rate, you'll rarely get the job. just my opinion. in the fall, the way i do my cleanups, i end up getting around $100 per hr (one man). now, if i QUOTED an hourly rate of $100, i'd never get one job

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't "quote" hourly rates to my customers. I simply look at the job, estimate the time required to complete, and multiply that number by a desired hourly rate. It's merely a baseline. If I do this and then feel like the work that is to be done is worth more than the estimated price using the hourly figure, I'll add on more until I feel the price is right.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

On many commercial bids they want an hourly # along with a final # so if your gonna have your bid considered you have to have it completed the way they want or it will get pitched

7. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Many people who use bobcats or dumptrucks for example charge an hourly rate for the machine as well as the operator. Does anyone do this with mowers,blowers, trimmers etc. Different line item on the bill for each machine or just machines x$/hr. ?

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it MO Greens way, it has worked out for some big weeding jobs, plus you keep an eye on time, if you kick it up and get out, your hourly goes up, if you drag a@# then it goes down.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Your cost of doing business is the same regardless of what kind of job you are performing. You have to charge x amount of dollars to cover your costs and make a profit. If hand weeding your flower beds isn't worth 50 bucks and hour then do it yourself or find someone else that is willing to take on this sucky job for less. I'd rather be making the 50 bucks and hour with a blower strapped to my back than picking out weeds from someone's long forgotten flower beds.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

dk, that is a rediculous statement